PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD-ROM painting

DeathCrush
11-05-2005, 10:38 PM
here's a question for you all. for the current project i'm working on, i want to have a black cdrom, i don't mean the front bezel, but the entire metal casing. has anyone ever attempted to paint one before? i'm pretty sure that all you can buy is silver so this is pretty much my only option. thanks a lot guys :)

Razor Blade
11-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Hmmm well I don't think it would be harmful to paint the case. Is it for inside the PC? If not you could always make or buy an enclosure, or even mod your case to fit one?

Guttenaffe
11-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Lots of people have painted the body of their CD-ROMs with little to no effect on them.

DickNervous
11-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Yeah, just be careful to mask off anythign that is exposed that you dont want painted, like the connectors on the back.

Guttenaffe
11-08-2005, 12:27 AM
I'd say not to do it unless you take the metal covers off then paint them and put um back on, sorry I thought this was implied, guess it is better have said it.

You DO NOT want paint dust anywhere near the drives optics.

DeathCrush
11-08-2005, 01:33 AM
oh i kind of figured to take the metal casing off in the first place :D i was just curious if anyone has done it before and maybe if there were tips (preping it for paint? things like that) thanks for the replies though guys :)

Rankenphile
11-08-2005, 02:29 AM
What we really need are static painting walkthroughs on this forum or page. We seem to get more questions here about steps to paint than anything else, and I've seen any number of great how-to's on painting posted here.

Anybody care to take a stab at it and submit it to Sky? I'm probably not the best, as I know some others here have more experience with it.

crenn
11-08-2005, 08:09 AM
I have a dead drive that I might be able to experiment with......

crazybillybob
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Here is a link to a good Case Painting how to. Keep in mind this guy is a pro. He uses allot of pro tools but if you read it and understand the process and the right way you can do this with hand tools and rattle cans in your back yard....That's what I do (go look at some of the parts for R2 Server (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1092) , They're all done in my back yard the closest thing to Pro grade I have is a $40 random orbit sander I got @ Wal-Mart!) but most is done by hand (to small to use the sander on!) Doing it by hand just may take a little longer! here it is Pimp Rig- Case Painting Basics (http://guides.pimprig.com/pimprig_paintshop/painting_a_computer_case_:_the_basics.php)

I know it's offsite but he does a good job, and I couldn't write it this well!

Crazybillybob

Rank,
Your right we need a "How to paint" Sticky, and How to bend (Alum, acrylic...)sticky These are like the #1 and #2 Q's around here followed a close third by how do I mold Resin (plastic).