PDA

View Full Version : Shake it like a Polaroid Picture! New Poloraid Pocket Sized Printer!

Ichbin
06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
A new story entry has been added:

Shake it like a Polaroid Picture! New Poloraid Pocket Sized Printer!

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/DrumThumper/Polaroid%20banner.png

The next generation of photo printing is knocking at the door. Are you ready?
Polaroid, the company that made its mark a long time ago with quasi-instant photography, is ready to finally jump into the digital age with the introduction of the PoGo. While it is small in size, it has the potential to become a very large powerhouse piece of machinery.

nevermind1534
06-19-2008, 10:42 AM
The digital camera that I've been using is a Polaroid.

TheGreatSatan
06-22-2008, 03:00 PM
They make crappy portable DVD players too

nevermind1534
06-23-2008, 12:00 AM
And crappy TVs

mtekk
06-23-2008, 01:29 PM
The new polaroid is not the same as the one of yesteryear. Most of the crap with their name on it is made by others and branded under the Polaroid name. Anyways, these printers are not entirely new. Police officers utilize black and white versions of these in squad cars for accident reports, and some pharmacies use them too. The only problem is they are heat sensitive and prolonged exposure to heat will eventually turn the paper pure black. I wonder how they are getting color to work on it.

nevermind1534
06-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, none of the name brands make their own products. They just contract the work out. My parent's eMachines that they got four years ago came with a KDS USA monitor. It turn out that the eMachines monitors are also made by KDS, and they just slap a different faceplate on them.

mtekk
06-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, none of the name brands make their own products. They just contract the work out...

Not always. Samsung with their monitors uses their own panels on the first few production runs (then move to alternative sources). IIRC Cannon and Nikon make their own cameras (not rebranded). Usually cheap crap gets outsourced, and there's a reason for that.

Polaroid's case is a tad different, the trademark rights were actually sold to the companies using the brand on their products verses just making the product for Polaroid to brand.

Airbozo
06-23-2008, 04:06 PM
I actually had the model pictured on the left of the banner as well as 2 others. One older and one newer. I just recently sold them...

f8l_0e
06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
The new polaroid is not the same as the one of yesteryear. Most of the crap with their name on it is made by others and branded under the Polaroid name. Anyways, these printers are not entirely new. Police officers utilize black and white versions of these in squad cars for accident reports, and some pharmacies use them too. The only problem is they are heat sensitive and prolonged exposure to heat will eventually turn the paper pure black. I wonder how they are getting color to work on it.

This particular product is very much the same as those of yesteryear.

1. Provide a instant gratification product at a small start up cost.
2. Make sure that product requires a constant supply of consumables that the company sells.
3. Profit!
4. Wait for prints to deteriorate of time, requiring more consumables to be purchased.
5. Profit again!

The only thing new is the second part of step 4 and step 5. The old polaroid cameras would just leave you with ruined photos after 10 years. At least now you can reprint the photo if you don't delete the images.

nevermind1534
06-30-2008, 09:52 AM
I think that mtekk meant the company itself, not the pictures.