PDA

View Full Version : Blood red theme. UV or LED red, also Coolant dye?

Skoad
11-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I've got a theme I want to do. What I really want is like a blood red color, really deep red none of this sissy pinkish-redish stuff.

Now, I like the idea of UV because of the nice, hazy glowing effect but most uv red fans/cables I have seen in real life look like a really weak red. I want blood! Now has anyone used a UV red that is a blood red, or can I get some UV blood read paint and just do it myself? Also, what about LEDs are there blood red leds?

Next half, water cooling....My ideal setup would be like a almost black, smokish hosing with a glowing blood red coolant flowing through them. If I can't do that I'll do a glowing blood red hose with black coolant. I've seen uv red coolant dye, but again it isn't a deep enough red for me. Could I add something else to make it darker and still retain a glow? Was also thinking of doing an almost fiber optic style hosing, with a red laser or led shooting along/through the hosing with some reflective tape in certain areas on the outside of the hose to help bounce and redirect the light all the way through to the end. Not sure if it will work like that but its worth a shot :)

So I guess those are the specific questions I'm looking for answers to. Basically looking for a deep deep red uv paint (non-conductive will be a plus) and something I can add to coolant for watercooling.

(THIS is what sparked my interest (http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/ati/crossfire/halibut.jpg))

DickNervous
11-07-2005, 02:05 PM
UV red will never be blood red, sorry. I have never seena UV red that looked dark like that. Normally I would say mix red and blue paint to get it dark, almost purple, but you can't do that with UV spray paint since it reflects light, so only the top coat will be reflected. The only way I can think of doing it is base coat of UV red with a sprinkling of UV blue, but I am not sure that will get the intended effect.

FOr lighting, the best thing is to get Red CCFLs and red cellophane. Warp the cellophane around the CCFL until the desired color. You could also use white or even blue CCFLs for this. LEDs work on particular wavelengths and while I am sure you can get LEDs the color you want, they will probably be custom made. I would stick with the CCFLs, but you could do a similar thing with LEDs, just use the cellophne as a "lens" that the LED shines through.

The water dye, forget about it. I tried getting Red UV to work in my Megadeth mod, it came out pink. I even added food coloring to it and got the water to a nice blood red color, but it did not glow. Your best bet there is to contact Brian at Voyuermods.com and see if they have any of the the PrimoFlex hose in red. I know they had some, but it isn't on the site so I am not sure they still do.

The fiber optic look, I would look into el wire. a bit easier then reflective tape and lasers. Or you coudl simply setup a laser to beam all over the case with mirrors. Tubing is not clear enough to really pass the light, especially if you put dye in the water.

Malatory
11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
firber wire look can be achived buy using thick clear fishing line. El Wire still might be better as DickNervous said.

DickNervous
11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Hmmm, never thought of using fishing wire. It all depends upon the look you are going for, EL Wire will be bright while I assume the fishing line wont be quite as bright.

Guttenaffe
11-08-2005, 12:24 AM
It is bright, I had a how-to round UV cables at POC.net (LONG ago)
Using tape and Florescent fishing line. It will glow BRGHT blue with UV light.