PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit OS

ajmilton
06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
So, I saw a thread a while back about 64 bit OSes but it really didn't answer the questions I have.
Basically, I want to have a less limited quantity of memory on my gaming PC (which is of course not yet built), and everything I've read says that the PAE switch is really only useful for applications built to utilize it. Things like Oracle. Things that won't be running on the computer.
On the one hand, I've read reviews of Windows XP 64 bit that say it's not very robust, on the other hand, these are reviews of right when it was released. I haven't had much/any luck finding a more recent comparison of 64 vs 32 bit Windows XP.
I'd prefer to avoid Vista for several reasons, (1) because I'm really not a fan of the interface (yes, I know that you can turn off the bells and whistles, but that seems to be the bulk of Vista and I'm lazy anyways), (2) because I've trashed it so much to just about everybody I know that it'd be somewhat hypocritical for me to switch to using Vista as a primary machine.
So I'm basically looking for some input on Windows XP 64 bit versus Windows XP 32 bit with PAE enabled.

crenn
06-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Windows XP 64 bit hasn't got problems except for the lack of driver support for some devices. If you MUST have a 64 bit OS, you're better off going with Linux x64 or Vista x64.

You can make Vista look like XP very quickly, just most people prefer not to use 'Windows Classic'. Yes, I'm a vista fan, and I'll be switching to it shortly. You should also note that if you don't like Vista, and you have Vista Business or Ultimate, you can get a downgrade for free to XP Pro.

Airbozo
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I switched my gaming system to Vista Ultimate x64. No issues and things even _seem_ to run better. I have not done any side by side comparisons for real numbers though.

I did load XP x64 on the same rig and had nothing but BSOD's and lag issues. I mucked around trying to find fixes for a while but eventually gave up. It may have been a BIOS issue, but I have not tried since I upgraded.

One note: server 2003 x64 drivers will work on XP x64 and visa versa (for the most part) and I know this to be true with Raid cards, network cards and gige adapter. Dell ships one of their top of the line workstations with XP x64 and it works flawlessly (the Precision 690 and T5400's).

nevermind1534
06-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I have xp64 and the 32-bit on my computer, and the 64-bit is much more stable and reliable. It always shuts down when I tell it, and all of the 32-bit apps run perfectly on it. The last time that I went on the 32-bit installation, I just got so annoyed with it, that I gave up. There's a point when you get so much stuff installed on 32-bit xp, that it starts to get bugged up. I don't see myself ever going back to 32-bit.

.Maleficus.
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
XP will no longer be sold as of June 30th. Don't even bother with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/future.mspx

There's nothing wrong with Vista. It's a perfectly usable OS. It has quirks like all OS's, it uses more system resources than XP (but if you're trying to game with 512MB of memory good luck) but so what? I sell $600 Gateways with 3GB of RAM and Tri cores. Vista will run great on that. Not to mention it's a ton more secure than XP ever thought of being.

As most of you know, I'm no Microsoft zealot. I'm running Linux right now. I know a decent OS when I see one though. That's why I haven't been on XP in ages. Get Vista 64-bit, put your foot in your mouth around your friends and game happily. If they give you crap for bashing Vista and then buying it, sorry dude, you kinda had it coming ;).

crenn
06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
At LAN Parties, I'm seeing Vista more and more, I'd say around 25% of the LAN is running Vista.

Airbozo
06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
XP will no longer be sold as of June 30th. Don't even bother with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/future.mspx

There's nothing wrong with Vista. It's a perfectly usable OS. It has quirks like all OS's, it uses more system resources than XP (but if you're trying to game with 512MB of memory good luck) but so what? I sell $600 Gateways with 3GB of RAM and Tri cores. Vista will run great on that. Not to mention it's a ton more secure than XP ever thought of being.

As most of you know, I'm no Microsoft zealot. I'm running Linux right now. I know a decent OS when I see one though. That's why I haven't been on XP in ages. Get Vista 64-bit, put your foot in your mouth around your friends and game happily. If they give you crap for bashing Vista and then buying it, sorry dude, you kinda had it coming ;).

June 30th is a moving target at this point. Our rep mentioned just last week that that date will probably change. In any event, that is just for the consumer version. You will still be able to buy the OEM version until the end of January (and that date will probably change too according to our M$ rep).

The reason it is up in the air on the stop selling date, is that there _are_ still issues with Vista that M$ has no fixes for. Plus the fact that there are still some missing drivers or only 32bit drivers. Then there are the customers that can not change due to application dependency on XP.

My companies biggest customer tested Vista and even after they got their apps to run (mostly), Vista's tendency to connect to some remote server for Gates knows what, broke the security model for their customers sites and the IT guys nixed it unless they could stop the outbound connection attempts. We have stockpiled enough XP licenses for them for the next 2 years...

In my personal experience, XP 32bit is 100 times more stable than the x64 version, but that was on my gaming rig. On my workstation here at work, they are the same when it comes to BSOD's. I have yet to have a BSOD or any crash on Vista. Some of the folks on another site I call my second home have done full on benchmarks on both os's including the 32 and 64 bit versions of each and Vista's scores are always lower on the exact same hardware. Not by much mind you and I have challenged anyone to discern a difference without benchmarks.

That said, I only switched to XP from 98 due to the improved network code in SP2. I only switched to Vista because I got a technet subscription for $99 that included ALL of their products.

Take the jump, you will not regret it. Just don't pay for the premium versions.