PDA

View Full Version : Question about goggles

vladanik
11-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I'm new to computer modding and to this forum. I saw a lot of good posts and I hope someone here can help me.

I'm just about to start making my first window. I plan on using a Dremel for cutting. Since I've never worked with a Dremel, actually I didn't work much with any tool, safety is my priority. Dremel works very fast. I can only imagine what would happen if the disc broke and went toward my face :)

I know I should buy some goggles, but I'm not sure what type. What should the glass be made of so it doesn't brake when dremel disc hits it? Are there any goggles that cover your whole face? Maybe I'm getting a bit overly paranoid here :) but like I said, safety is my priority.

Any advice would be appreciated.

crazybillybob
11-08-2005, 10:49 AM
GO to any big box Hardware (Lowes, Home Despot) in the tool section is Saftey glasses. Pick up just about any pair they have. The two things to make sure of is that they have side sheilds (or wrap around to the temple area on your face)..This protects from debris getting in be hind the glasses and that they fit your face (Ie. not to small or not to big as to fall off!). The platic your looking for is Z22 (I think I'll have to walk out an double check one of my pairs).
You can spend $3-$20 on them. If you have any more Q's just ask !

Welcome to TBCS, where we have fun!!
You may also want a dust mask (depending on what your cutting and how much, you could be blowing dust out your nose for a week!) for wood,Aluminum, sheet metal the cheapy $0.99 type from big box name here will work. If you working on Fiberglass or paint fumes, (bondo) you'll need a resperator. There's some more detail and pics here in my worklog R2 Server (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1092&page=3&pp=10)

Good Luck!
Crazybillybob

Guttenaffe
11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Well, I use safety glasses, good ones SAS or similar approved. You also want them to be real clear and comfortable for you to wear. If you don’t like the way the feel or fit you will be more likely to not wear them when you need to.

I keep my safety glasses clear by wearing a face shield over top, when I work with things that have a high chance of shooting particles out or launching objects at me. ;)

My shield was $10 from harbor Freight URL: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46526 price is $12.99 at the time of this post. I like this shield because it has lots of room to fit my bigass head. It even fits over my respirator when paining.

I even wear the safety glasses when painting cause I don’t like painters eye :( :D