PDA

View Full Version : Dell needs help!

Vitaliy
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Alright, to sum up the story, my friend's computer is totally screwed! Being a dumb ass that he is, he got so many viruses that it messed everything up. He has no clue about computers so he asked me to help him. So, now his dell is sitting at my house... and I have been trying to fix it for monthes!

It was impossible for me to go on regular mode, pop ups, anti virus messages, and actualy animated bugs would start eating away the desktop icons :huh: . lol. So the only choice I had was going on safe mode. I had did my best to remove most of the viruses. Ran multiple anti-virus programs, non which would actualy download and protect the computer since it wouldn't let me do it in safe mode...

So with most of the viruses removed, when I go on regular mode, it still ends up freezing the whole computer. My only conclusion is that windows needs to be reinstalled again. I am thinking the viruses had corrupted most of the computer, and me trying to remove all of them did not really help!

Being the computer wiz that he is, he has no windows cd that comes with the computer..(omfg). So now im stuck trying to figure out how to reinstall windows without the cd... I tried going to dell support, but those bastards won't even talk to me since his warranty is expired.

Can anyone who knows a thing or two about computers help me out? The computer is in good shape too, it just needs to have windows reinstalled! Someones got to help this kid out I feel bad for him, he hasn't been able to use a computer for months, we all know how much it sucks not being able to use one for a couple of days.

His computer is a dell optiplex 170L.

Any help is appreciated!

Dane Bramage
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
does he have any of the CDs that came with the laptop? dell system recovery disk? that might help. or... do you have a copy of windows to use for him?

his dell should have the key code on the bottom of the computer, so you can just use that code instead of the one with the CD.

if you don't, then find someone that does. otherwise, you will be buying a new copy of windows.

Airbozo
07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
There also may be an image of the original drive setup on the drive itself. Hit F12 or F10 or something like that for a boot menu. One of the choices may be a disk restore.

Dane Bramage
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
yeah... tru nuff. normally, i remove that crap from the Dell laptops i maintain for the sales staff at the office. but, if your buddy doesn't even know enough to be dangerous, then it may still be there.

Vitaliy
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
the dell is a desktop. I only have an emachines reinstallition cd for windows, so it won't read that.

So are you guys saying barrow a windows cd, then use the windows serial that is on his computer instead of the one on the cd case, and it will work?

Dane Bramage
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
yes... so long as it's the same version of windows it should work. all winxp disks are the same... the CD key is just a series of letters and numbers that is generated by a bit of software. so... as long as the number you are using "fits" the formula of the generator, then it doesn't matter where the install comes from.

again, it's gotta be the same version of windows tho. won't work if the CD key is for Win 98 and you try to install XP.

Vitaliy
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Well ya it is windows xp, but i might have a problem in getting such a disk since i dont know anyone who actually has one. Are there any alternatives?

Dane Bramage
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
not unless you can get a "replacement" cd from microsoft or dell.

might cost some money tho.

other than that, prolly not.

Luke122
07-02-2008, 05:21 PM
If its the XP that came with the Optiplex, it's likely WinXP Home OEM. Anyone who has an OEM version of XP Home should be able to lend you a disk to reinstall.

Another option is to contact MS, and ask for a replacement cd. You can give them the serial key to prove it's valid, and you'll likely end up paying for shipping to get the disc.

Borrowing is definitely your best bet, but make sure its OEM, and it's the right version before you try to install it.

Bopher
07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with the borrow an OEM CD. See if anyone has a Dell OS Disk. I use the same disk to redo the OS on both my Dell desktops and my Dell Laptop. If its newer see if you can get one that says on it SP2. They are label in that manner.

Vitaliy
07-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I think I got someone to lend me a disk, hopefully.

Vitaliy
07-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't think that person came through... Can anyone else let me barrow a windows cd? I will get my friend to pay some money through pay pal for letting me barrow it.

moon111
07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Install Linux.

Vitaliy
07-05-2008, 09:36 AM
More detail please.

Luke122
07-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Why not try Linux? Its a good suggestion.. there are TONS of different builds out there, almost all free, and most are so easy/basic to use, that you would be hard pressed to find fault with them. Unless you need windows to run some specific software such as games or something (which CAN be done on Linux, but isnt always easy).

Linux Mint is a nice one, as is Ubuntu. If you want minimalist, Damn Small Linux is great (just under 50mb), or for pure bling, Sabayon.

All are free to download, though the file size can be a bit steep (up to 4.3gb DVD iso's) but most around around 700mb. Download, burn the disc, boot from the cd. The joy of these live disks is that if you dont like it, reboot, remove the disc, and you are back to what you had before.

When you are asking people to borrow their Windows cd, are they aware that you dont need their license key, or that doing so DOES NOT VOID THEIR WARRANTY OR THEIR LICENSE AGREEMENTS? They might think that giving you their CD will get them into trouble, or you'll steal their license or something. Make sure they know that you dont need their license, since you have one. Then they might be more willing to lend it to you.

Vitaliy
07-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks I might try the linux. But ya, I already have the license on the computer like you said, all i need is a cd to download from.

Just a question about linux, so it is pretty much like windows on a cd, and all you do is put it in and it will just run windows off that cd? so nothing is installed onto the computer. Just wondering because if im getting it right, i could burn him a cd like that and he can use the comp with the cd until i get a windows cd for him.

Anyways, ill try linux, but it would be helpful if anyone can lend me a cd.

edit: Alright, downloaded linux on a cd, but now there is a new problem. The dell has stopped trying to read disks! I press f12 to go into the menu, and when I press boot from cd, it now goes to the options for safemode. I remember it working before, but now idk what to do!

nevermind1534
07-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Try a different boot CD, and see if that works.

Vitaliy
07-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Doesn't seem to be reading it.

Luke122
07-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Sounds like the disc wasnt burned correctly. If you open the disc on your computer you should be able to see tons of files.. if you only see one file (the ISO), then it was burned incorrectly, and that's the problem.

nevermind1534
07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Is boot from CD the first thing on the boot list when you go into the bios?

Vitaliy
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
No it is the third. I don't think the disk is the problem, it just doesn't go to that place anymore

Luke122
07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Ok, the cd drive needs to be the first thing in the boot order list in order for the computer to boot from the CD. I know that most PC's you can just select from a "boot menu" on startup, but I've seen that not work before, so I would just try changing the first boot device to the CD drive in the bios.

Any luck finding a Windows CD yet? I think we've deviated pretty far from the original problem, so lets' get this thread back on track. :D

Luke122
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
So with most of the viruses removed, when I go on regular mode, it still ends up freezing the whole computer. My only conclusion is that windows needs to be reinstalled again. I am thinking the viruses had corrupted most of the computer, and me trying to remove all of them did not really help!

In safe mode, try running msconfig, and disabling EVERYTHING on the startup tab, and then all the Non-Microsoft services in the services tab.

Also, check the device manager while you are in safe mode, and see if anything is conflicting/reporting errors. If so, remove that device from the device mangler and reboot.

Does it still freeze up in regular mode? Try safe mode again, and check the hard disk for errors.

Does he have multiple user accounts on his computer? If not, try creating a new user account, and logging into regular mode with the new user account. It's possible that the virus just corrupted the settings on that one user account, and/or it's trying to load something that is no longer present on his account.

Vitaliy
07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
In safe mode, try running msconfig, and disabling EVERYTHING on the startup tab, and then all the Non-Microsoft services in the services tab.

Also, check the device manager while you are in safe mode, and see if anything is conflicting/reporting errors. If so, remove that device from the device mangler and reboot.

Does it still freeze up in regular mode? Try safe mode again, and check the hard disk for errors.

Does he have multiple user accounts on his computer? If not, try creating a new user account, and logging into regular mode with the new user account. It's possible that the virus just corrupted the settings on that one user account, and/or it's trying to load something that is no longer present on his account.

I'm gonna try all those and tell you what happens in a bit. Also, i did try making a new account, but if you go on it in reg mode, it freezes because of all the things that are loading while it trys to set up.

Luke122
07-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Keep me posted on this, I'll help you solve it. :)

Eclecticos
07-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Try this | Run-=> Command | Type: sfc /scannow | into the msdos prompt.
It scans your computer for any damaged or missing windows system files.

Useful to run after a virus, adware or spyware attack has damaged core files.
Have you OS Disk handy it will ask for it.

Luke122
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Try this | Run-=> Command | Type: sfc /scannow | into the msdos prompt.
It scans your computer for any damaged or missing windows system files.

Useful to run after a virus, adware or spyware attack has damaged core files.
Have you OS Disk handy as it will ask for it.

He doesnt have an OS disk atm, which is why we were looking for one earlier. :) But yeah, that was the next thing I would recommend once the disk is found. :D

nevermind1534
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
That might work if he can boot into safe mode with a command prompt.

Vitaliy
07-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry I havn't been able to try anything yet i had work these couple of days and I have to unplug this comp so I can use the dell. I'll post tomoro!

Edit: Alright, so I am on my other computer, while im running things on the dell. Ok, this is what I have done so far:
Went on safe mode and ran msconfig, disabling all the things that were mentioned, and guess what, I went on the new account on reg mode, and it is running perfectly!

Then I downloaded 2 microsoft updates that popped up, had to restart it 2 times.

Tried looking at the device manager, but I am not sure what I do or how I check if everything is alright?

I am now scanning the computer with the src /scannow command, will edit to tell you what they tell me.

After that I plan on running MalwareBytes' anti-malware and see if it finds anything.
---
Edit 2:

Scanned the computer by running the command, I let it scan for awhile, but when it gets to the end the scanning window closes, but nothing pops up with results? I tried this another time with the same result.

Scanned with the malware scanner, and got 1 result, hopefully it cleared it.
---

So what should I do now? I'm gonna try to delete some of the things that start up that I have disabled. I'm thinking I need another scan for more threats, anyone know a good virus scanner that I would be able to download? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the feedback!!

What should I do now?

Luke122
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Spybot is great, and free. Also, you can get the Free AVG antivirus, and that will work as a resident scanner.

With both those things, and all your windows updates, you should be back up and running.

I would also recommend backing up all the files from the regular account, then creating a new user account for your friend, and removing the old one. That will completely eliminate any traces of junk or malware that were left behind by the scanners.

Glad to see that this is up and running for you now!

Sepherus
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
my solution to this problem: don't buy a dell :p

my recommendation would be to start it up try and get the most important files off the disk and then use the restore drive/ghost to fix it. Don't forget to scan the external drive for viruses before you copy any of the files back to the computer.

when i think something is infected on an external drive i usually start up Linux or use my kamikaze pc (a really really old stripped down laptop with a cut down version of windows on it, if something goes afoul it only takes about 15 minutes to reinstall).

i do actually use a dell but as an ftp server, with so many firewalls that if a hacker got into it i would have to meet him and congratulate him. Even so, i don't use all the pre-installed dell crap, 90% of them are a waste of space and resources.

Luke122
07-11-2008, 05:05 PM
As a sysadmin, I actually recommend Dells to most people.

I'm suprised at how much bad press Dell gets. They arent bad computers, they just come with too much bloatware. Wipe clean, success.

Anyways, its not his computer, he was just trying to help a friend. Lets keep this thread on track.

Vitaliy
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm currently posting from the dell =]. Ok I deleted the bad account. My question, the things that i disabled and stuff, is it okay to leave it like that and let him use the computer with all those disabled? Thanks, please post quick while im on this lol!

nevermind1534
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
You can either leave them unchecked, or just delete them from the list all together.

moon111
07-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Just for reference purposes, I believe at one time Dell use to send an OS CD and a Resource CD. The Resource CD had the drivers on. BOTH Cd's were bootable. In fact, there was a hardware test one could do outside of Windows by booting of the Resource Cd.
I believe in the interest of saving money, some OEM's offer the customer the chance to burn their own OS cd when they first boot it up the system. If they ignore this, they're left without one.