PDA

View Full Version : Painting case

kramman
11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Hello to every one. im not new to case modding, well looking at them at least, but, new at doing them. i figured that i would just start out basic and paint my case. i want a high gloss finish and i also want to put the logo from my web site on it. i have read many how-to's on painting your case to get the "show quality" finish and was wondering what step i would put on my logo and what the easyist way to put it on would be. im not that artistic so i was wondering if i could some way print out the logo and apply it under the glossy surface. thanks fo the help

tybrenis
11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
This is what I always use:

I bought custom waterslide decal paper off of eBay. Trust me, buy it there, if you get it any where else you will have to pay 20 bucks for a few sheets. The cal paper cost me under 5 dollars shipped for like 5 pieces. It works with an inkjet pinter, so I just put it in my printer, and printed it out. Follow the instructions to make the detail. Paint your case normally. Before applying the glossy clearcoat, apply the decals where you want them. Finally,c learcoat the entire case including the decals. The result is gorgeous.

Thanks!

Rankenphile
11-09-2005, 12:27 AM
OMG, Tybrenis, that's a great idea. I totally forgot about that stuff! I used to use the preprinted stuff on models all the time - I forgot they sell blanks you can use now!

By chance, do you know what the brand name of your stuff is?

kramman
11-09-2005, 12:30 AM
wow i tought that it was going to be alot more complicated than that. Thanks for the great idea.

but one thing that i didnt get from the how-to's is if i sand the claer coat or not befor putting on another coat i mean it cant hurt can it. if any one has a very good step by step how to i would appreciate it.

tybrenis
11-19-2005, 08:12 PM
No, I don't know the brand... I wish I did. The seller didn't reply when I askd him... ;)

Crimson Sky
11-19-2005, 09:34 PM
There are 2 kinds you can get--clear (or "translucent") decal paper or white. If you had a white surface, you could use the clear decal paper--meaning any part of your decal sheet thats not printed on would be transparent. White paper is good for dark surfaces, as the decal film itself is white and no surface color would show through.

Once you print out the decal, you spray coat it in clear acrylic gloss (or satin, or flat--doesnt matter) spray paint..like Krylon or similar. This locks in the printer ink and prevents it from bleeding when you soak it in the water before applying. When that is dry, simply cut out the logo or whatever with an X-Acto blade and soak it in a dish of water for 1 minute. Transfer your decal to a preferably glossy surface (doesnt need to be glossy, but it is recommended) and remove any bubles with a soft tissue. Bubbles can be pushed to the edges and dispersed with a soft paint brush or tissue. If you have any stubborn bubbles, they can be pricked with a sewing pin and smoothed out with a tissue.

Let the decal dry overnight. If all is copacetic, proceed to cover the decal in a few protective coats of clear spray paint. If you build up enough layers of clear, the decal will be nicely melted below the surface, and you can then give a nice rubbed out finish to the clear with rubbing compound and finishing glaze.

Reference:

MicroMark Decal paper (http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81490)

DecalPaper.com (http://www.decalpaper.com/inkjet.html)

Decals for the Doom3 mouse

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/mouse_decals.jpg