07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I just built a new computer for my friend containing:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
2GB Geil Evo DDR2 800 RAM
Dual Western Digital 160GB HDDs to be put in RAID 0
An old 8600GTS 512MB
Lite-On IDE 20X DVD Burner
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI.

You can see the whole story about this build here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194512#post194512).

So anyway heres how it goes:
I start up the computer and place the Windows Vista disk in, Double check the BIOS and make sure the DVD Burner is the primary boot device, and go to boot. The J-Micron screen pops up and says "Press any key to boot from CD" (or something like that). I press "Any Key" and the disk kinda starts reading for a sec. I get the blinking cursor in the upper left corner like its doing something, then a couple seconds later it goes to a blank screen and stays there indefinitely.

I've read around on the ASUS forums and noticed a lot of people have trouble with IDE drives on the J-Micron controller, but none of their fixes have worked.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Indybird

J-Roc
07-03-2008, 11:15 PM
have you waited untill the jmicron status screen has passed? there should be a second "press to boot from cd" option.

Indybird
07-04-2008, 02:22 AM
have you waited untill the jmicron status screen has passed? there should be a second "press to boot from cd" option.

Yeah we tried that also, but apparently theres nothing wrong with the motherboard: We called up ASUS tech support today and described our problem. They literally told us that the J-Micron IDE controller does not support optical drives. Well thats just great... Anyway, we know someone who has SATA drive and will swap with us.

Thanks for the help though,
Indybird

crenn
07-04-2008, 02:36 AM
I think I have a J-Micron IDE controller on my motherboard... never had a problem with it.