PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a speaker build

d_stilgar
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm building some computer speakers and I'm going to have a powered subwoofer. I was wondering if I should have a subwoofer-amp with a higher watt rating than the sub, or a sub with a higher watt rating than the sub-amp. Thanks. This is my first speaker build and I want to do it right.

Trace
07-03-2008, 02:40 PM
They should be about the same power.

DocNitrous
07-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Having a higher power amplifier than the sub will help in controlling the subwoofer and obtaining a cleaner, tighter and overall better bass.

Having a higher rated subwoofer than the Amplifier will results in weak and uncontrolled bass.

J-Roc
07-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Tisk tisk Doc, thats not noob friendly advice :P

If your a novice which seems likely, its best to use a 1:1 ratio and match the RMS watts.

If your unfamilliar with setting up audio equipment, you could easily blow your sub by supplying it with more watts then its rated for.

P.S. watts dont determin quality.

d_stilgar
07-04-2008, 02:39 AM
I was debating going with something in the 150-250W range, but instead went for a 100W sub and a 100W amp, so it all worked out.

I know the risk of blowing out a speaker, but wondered if a sub trying to draw more watts than the amp could provide would overheat the amp.

It seems with computer PSUs you can't have too many watts, but with subs I thought there might be trouble thinking more is better.

The project, however, is still a secret at this point. I will be asking more questions as I go along though. What I can say is that I'm going to have a very nice 2.1 system for my computer when I'm done.

J-Roc
07-04-2008, 04:02 AM
did you buy a home or car sub/amp?

d_stilgar
07-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Home.

Luke122
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Keep in mind that amp power ratings can be RMS or peak. Peak = tons of distortion usually, as it's running the amp flat out to get the most possible power from it.

If you match a 100w peak amp with a 100w rms sub, it'll sound like crap. You'll have to drive the amp into clipping to get enough power to move the sub decently.

And realistically, you can get incredible sound from much smaller power output if you use sensitive enough speakers. My home system is 15w peak, and around 8w rms, to a set of speakers which are capable of 40w peak. No chance of overloading the speakers, because if you drive the amp too hard, it'll just sound bad. But, with sensitivity of around 92db, you'd be hard pressed to turn it past half way anyways.

I'm a big fan of audio projects, so I'm eagerly awaiting more details. :D

Luke122
07-05-2008, 11:24 AM
*PS*

www.partsexpress.com

d_stilgar
07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
That's where I got pretty much everything. Thanks for the link though!

Eclecticos
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Speaking of a speaker build. .
I need to get one of these Circle Jigs, and a Router.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/411/circlejigon8.jpg

d_stilgar
07-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm going to borrow a friend's router. A circle jig is pretty simple to build yourself too, so unless you plan on building speakers for a living, you shouldn't have to get a jig.