PDA

View Full Version : Making A Custom Window With Rivets

JOKER_JOKER
11-09-2005, 12:52 AM
For my Unreal Tournament 2007 case mod I'm going to be starting, I wanted to cut a custom window. After I cut out the shape and all I was going to add the plexiglass behind it like every other window. In my Lian-Li case, the window is held in with rivets, and I wanted to know how to do this by myself. I know you can buy rivets, but how do you install them? I hear that you need a rivet gun. If I do, about how much are they?

slavik
11-09-2005, 02:07 AM
I think I looked up a rivet gun for like 15usd at home depot ...

crazybillybob
11-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Rivet guns Run from $15-$35 us, Harbor freight (online) sells several models for $20. When riveting alum / sheet metal to plexi, make sure you don't over tighten the rivet. If you do the Plexi will crack no matter how thick it is!! If it's your first time practice on some scrap (you know the left over from the window you cut) or if the case cam pre moded pick up some sheet metal from the hardware Or use an old case. The first time I did this we tested it maybe 10 times to get it right, but when we were done we Riveted the window into the case and a Lighted fan and aluminum fan grill to the Plexi (in the middle). Remember Rivets look the best when evenly spaced (even around a curve), Plan out the placement never just put them in haphazardly Unless your going for Ghetto rig look or the case needs to look like it's had field repairs (worn look!)

Basic rules:
1: don't over tighten
2: drill your holes slow (if you crack the plexi even a little the rivet will make it bigger!)
3: Take your time
4: PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE

Good Luck,
Crazybillybob

DickNervous
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
You know, this may sounds stupid, but I bought a rivet gun and rivets a while ago to do the same thing, except I couldn't quite figure out how to use the damn thing. So I just used screws with some cool washers and nuts.

crazybillybob
11-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Dicky,

Just for you when I pickup a new Rivet gun I'll put a how to use it in the R2 server thread (I've got some parts that I want riveted in)...but be paticent as I'm not allowed to buy anything till christmas (my wife and family are mad because I just go buy the crap I need and then they have to take back gifts they bought for me :? ) But I will get it up just for You!

Crazybillybb

DickNervous
11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
ROFL! MY family does the same thing!

That sounds good. I don't anticipating having to rivet anything between now and then.

Edit:
Or you can look on the web HGTV (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/article/0,1797,HGTV_3659_1611968,00.html) or DoItYourself.com (http://doityourself.com/power/popriveter.htm) or DIYNetwork (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/tl_power_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_14392_2270031,00.html) which looks like the best one. But I still want to see your guide!

public_eyesore
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
ill do a rivet turorial tonight if anyone wants me to post one. Dick, i can understand why you were confused, a rivet gun just doesnt seem like it should work, its weird.

crazybillybob
11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
The DIY one is good, but if you put a little back into it and you've got a decent rivet gun, you can mount wood to metal using a manual ones. You don't have to have air powered it's just easier and quicker!

Crazybillybob

JOKER_JOKER
11-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey Emochild626, that would be great if you could post a tutorial. I agree with Dicknervous, they don't seem like they would work.

Guttenaffe
11-09-2005, 08:14 PM
If you rivet from metal to plexie you need to use washers on the end of the rivets. This will spread out the stress onto the plexie and help prevent cracks. I can make a how-to on this as well if it is really needed. I got TONs of rivets well not tons, more like 10lbs or so. :D

DickNervous
11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Well, I feel much better that I am not the only one who doesn't understand rivets. I mean, I get the entire concept but when you look at a rivet... it just don't make sense I guess until you see it in action.

The rivet has one end that is like a nail, and the other end has a a sleeve over it, with, for lack of a better term, "ball" on the end. So, if I understand those tutorials correctly I would need to drill a hole and push the "ball" end of the rivet through it. Then you attache the rivet gun on the ball and squeeze it pulling the "nail" part through?

crazybillybob
11-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Then you attache the rivet gun on the ball and squeeze it pulling the "nail" part through?

Your all right till here.

The ball doesn't go into the gun, the nail slips into the gun. Inside the "ball" of the rivet is the head of the nail. When you pull the handle of the gun it pulls the head up into the ball forcing it to mushroom out and expand tight to the walls of the hole you drilled in the material. Does that help?

Crazybillybob

Guttenaffe
11-11-2005, 01:11 AM
billybob you left off the part that the "nail" part called the "mandrel" snaps off leaving the head or "ball" part of the rivet inside the warped body which does the holding.

There are different types of rivets out there. I'd recommend aluminum rivets for comp cases. Steel have to much draw strength.

DickNervous
11-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Ok, I think I got it. I will have to try to find some time this weekend to give it a try.

Thanks!