PDA

View Full Version : Hardware advice for newbie please..

U4ER
11-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Hello all
This is going to be my first modded computer so i need a lil advice here and there..
So far i have
1. Asus a8n-sli premium MB
2. amd dualcore 4200+
3. Zalman 7000 Led fan/heatsink
4. Xion II case
5. WD raptor 36g Sata HD
6. Maxtor 120g and 250g drive
7. 2g of DDR Ram by Corsair xms (2x1024)
8. Geforce 6600 256mb
9. Samsung dvd burner

I havent put everything together yet, i am looking for some advice on stuff like Video card fan, fan controller and important stuff to keep my computer cool. Then the fun Stuff like LEDS, Lights, UV and Case mods..

any advice would help thank you all

U4ER

public_eyesore
11-10-2005, 10:45 PM
for cooling, all you need are some fans, unless you plan to overclock, but otherwise, just get like 1 or 2 intake fans in the front and 1 or 2 outtake in the back and you should be set.

U4ER
11-12-2005, 04:16 PM
The Xion II tower has 3 fans already. I am going to Overclock some stuff but like i said its my first time doing this...so i need to read up on overclocking and a ton of other things..

public_eyesore
11-12-2005, 08:12 PM
www.extremeoverclocking.com , in the forums section has A LOT of stuff on overclocking. I would start there.

Judgement
11-25-2005, 04:29 AM
These are just some small tips that ive picked up along the way hope they help

first off i got the Xion II case for my G/F about 4 months ago and the Stock fans are pretty weak i would highly recommend geting new ones i normaly dont use 120s i stick to 80mm's however i dont recall if you can place 2 80s in the front i beleave you can

another thing thats good it always try to keep ur intakes and outtakes balanced 2 in 2 out that kind of thing

you didnt list ur power Supplie but if u plan on hook up alot of thing (fans neons ECT) rember to have something stong most of all for higher end systems and grapics

as for over clocking depending on what ur gona do id sugest cool plates or shims i dont over clock grapics cards normaly but for ram and processor i always use memory cooling shims same for my CPU

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=862394&CatId=496 <-- Good price

and i always use articsilver for my themal gel

im sure i have more advice but its 1:30AM and my brains a bit fryed ill check back later lol

hope this helps

wingman358
11-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey U4ER, if you gave us some more info about the parts we would be able to help much more. The URLs (if you have them) would be helpful, too.

You didn't mention if this was your first build or just your first mod.

If this is your first ever build, I would reccommend worrying about the build first and leave the overclocking to later.

Hope to hear some more soon!