PDA

View Full Version : painting a case

SaWBLaDe
11-13-2005, 05:30 AM
mmm guys i finally got enough time to go and get myself some kool spraypaint, primer and clearcoat and im ready to attemp painting my case but i just wanted to know what order i should o it all in heres how i would do it tell em if im wrong: sand,prime,sand,paint,sand,paint,clearcoat,sand,cl earcoat.

k now thats just how i THINK im sposed to do it and also if i sand 1 layer of clearcoat will it leave it looking ****? and are two coats of clear needed?

anyway i await your reply. SaWBLaDe.

crenn
11-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Please look at this to answer your questions:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358

SaWBLaDe
11-13-2005, 07:26 PM
cool thanks

Smitten
11-23-2005, 05:08 AM
hey there sawblade...i was trolling around one day when i too was looking to paint my case (hate the beige-white norm) and came across this site here

http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-101-how-to-paint-your-computer-case-part-1/

i have to say from the shots he's done an amazing job. i'm still working on my paint project but following this guy's steps has so far paid off quite well.

good luck

pc1972
12-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Has anybody had any experience with powdercoating a case? Can get it done for about $20 but don't know if I will get a real clear shine with it.

Smitten
12-05-2005, 05:29 AM
i'm in the navy and let me say a few things about powdercoating.

1) not cheap. i'm not sure exactly the price, but compared to the cost of a rattle can, i'm positive its more.

2) very durable. powercoating can take a beaten. this stuff is like a second skin when applied properly and comes in numerous colors (not sure about pastels though :rolleyes: )

3) once chipped, it's chipped. with paint even a chip can be repaired. little touch up, little sanding and polishing and "poof" no more chip. powdercoating doesnt fix that easy. if you ding it up, only way to make it go away is to re-coat it. then again, i could be wrong and my superiors are hiding the truth from me :p of course going back to number 2, if its chipped, you most likely have a nasty dent to go with it.

as for luster and shine. i've seen both from powdercoating. its kinda like a glaze that's baked onto the metal. so would depend on the "glaze" applied if it'll be shiny or not. now if it gets scuffed, not sure how you'd repair it (refer to #3)

8)

adreamtraveler
12-05-2005, 06:31 AM
I have a friend here that has gotten some parts for this car powder coated, and he said that he had to save for a little while to do it. it may be the parts he got powder coated or it may be the bay area (everything here is expensive), but i have heard that it can cost quick a bit. :(

i love the way the stuff comes out though. :D it looks great and i wouldn't mind saving up and getting a case powder coated myself in the future :p

pc1972
12-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the input. The reason that I can get it so cheap is because I have a friend that works at an airport here and they powdercoat their planes. He said that he has some extra black paint and on their next project I can throw the tower in with it.

What about this idea...If the coat doesn't come out "shiny" enough would clear coat work on it?

Smitten
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
the powerdercoating i've seen done were all more or less rubber, so not sure if or how a clear coat of laquer or plain finish would look on it. :?

ask your friend for some scrap peices and try clear coating them. best way to find out is by exeperimentation, so my friends in college always told me :rolleyes:

8)

Crimson Sky
12-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah you could put clear over a powdercoated surface..should be fine.

pc1972
12-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, it looks like I will have to scratch the powdercoating idea. The Thermaltake case that I have has a big stamp on the side and I want it gone and they seem to think that it won't be a good idea to sand it down even. I disagree but hey. So I think that I will just bondo the inside and then flatten the outside and go from there. How bad can wetsanding be..:eek:

If by any chance anyone is in the Arkansas (why you would is beyond me) area and needs powdercoating give a shout.

digital_exhaust
12-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey...new guy here..SSSOooo hello everyone...
That being said...pc1972.. if you can get anything powdercoated for 20bux.. let alone an entire tower..... DO IT... The only way yer gonna damage powder coat finish is "impact damage"...i.e dropping it off of your desk... I had the cage of an Chieftec powder caoated and it cost a little over $80... ooo, also, you can get almost any color known to man, glossy or satin or flat.

OOPS.. sorry, just missed your last post... Why no sanding??? Bare metal/alum can be powdercoated just fine...

pc1972
12-07-2005, 12:48 AM
thanks digital. I am just trying to explore my options. Its getting to be crunch time and I'm getting kinda nervous and excited at the same time. Nothing like getting your feet wet for the first time.

SaWBLaDe
12-09-2005, 05:14 AM
first off pc1972 try not to hijak threads lol. second i used to be a full time powder coater we used to paint these racks made at the same loctaion sometimes we would make and paint stuff for the military ie the navy. let me say usually with powder coating once u chip it depending on the chip it can be sanded smooth and with a mixture of the powder and water painted again and usually it would be fine unless its a rather large or noticeable chip. second of all u can only powder coat metal 3 times then its rubbish and also powder coat is very thick so we used to put small silicone cone shaped things in screw holes etc otherwise they fill up and are a apin in the ass. and finally ITS NOT WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY. ur better off using spraypaint or even auto paint. good luck

Viper-Inc
12-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Is air-brushing a case a lot harder than spray paint?

My dad (im 16) has an air-brush and was wandering if i should use that on my case instead of the spray paint..

Does it give off a better effect and is more even or what? is it just the fact that it is a lot quicker to air-brush?

SaWBLaDe
12-09-2005, 06:23 AM
first off viper i have no idea second DONT HIJAK OTHER PEOPLES THREADS start you own plz

Viper-Inc
12-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Sawblade, this thread was made about painting cases. my question was About painting the case. Therefore it is not hijacking the thread. I am not going to make another thread called the same thing, that's just pointless and it would be closed and i would be told to post in 1 already made, aka this 1.

SaWBLaDe
12-10-2005, 09:04 AM
no u wouldnt noob. besides u think im the first person to start a thread about painting a case? LoL

Viper-Inc
12-10-2005, 09:24 AM
ok. SaWBLaDe. you need to relax. Other people have posted in mine plenty of times, you learn from what others say. If you already know it all, why post this question? You need to cool it and think of others. No-one is hijacking your thread. i merely saved creating another thread for a basic question.

SaWBLaDe
12-10-2005, 10:43 AM
dude what r u on about you have been here what 11 days now? i thikn u need to stop and think for a sec "why post in someone elses thread when i can start a new one whtas the worst that could happen? they refer u somewere else? delete ur thread?" i have never had a thread deleted or removed so i must be doing something right? why not just leave and start a new thread? why cause trouble? and why are u scared of making a new thread they gonna run out of paper? LoL

Rankenphile
12-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Sawblade - Mellow out, please. It's not like we don't already have a dozen threads on painting cases. Keeping them consolidated makes it easier to find info in one place, rather than having to search the entire forum.

Viper - Don't start arguing, please. If someone asks you to make a new thread instead of posting new questions in one they started, there's no reason to argue over it.

crazybillybob
12-10-2005, 05:23 PM
To help answer a few questions posted here (and to help calim the climte)

Saw:
Wet sanding a coat of clear coat will leave it hazy, if you want it to be nice but not overly shiny you can hit with a light coat of clear just to take away the haze. If you want it super smooth and shine (like a show car) You want to lay down the clear 2 coats, wet sand, 2 clear coats, wet sand, then use some buffing compound on it, follow it up with a bit of hand glaze (it should be smooth and shiny). Now wait for 30-45 days then use some car wax (turtle, mothers, blue coral, etc) this will help protect that shiny finish.

Viper,
The airbrush works great for detail work and highlights. But if you have a larger case most airbrushes don't have the output or pain capacity to be good at laying down base coats. For that you want to use spray cans or a HVLP (High volume low pressure) Sprayer (the big silver air sprayer) like that used in a body shop.

Everyone: Quick reminders:
Spray paint can don't put layers on as thick as a pro sprayer, nor are the paints as strong. Because of this you need to put down more coats.
Clear coats follow these rules too., So If you know you need 2 coats of pro clear a good rule of thumb is you need 4 coats of spray can clear.

I use Spray cans for everything (I don't have an air compressor up here in the great white north.....Yet) and the clear coat when applied correctly is tough, and protects your paint (no matter if it's spray can, airbrush, or pro spray) very well.

Good Luck to all,

Crazybillybob

PS: Can't we all get along?:?

Viper-Inc
12-10-2005, 09:35 PM
EDIT: Post removed. don't want to make a scene anymore. I guess i will find my answer elsewhere.

crazybillybob
12-11-2005, 02:36 AM
Viper,

Go ahead and ask your Q. That's what we're here for, to help. As long as it is related to painting it's all good.

Crazybillybob.

Viper-Inc
12-11-2005, 02:43 AM
u answered it before. just what i post was telling saw that i have had experience in many of forums and the rules are all basically the same thread/post wise. that's all.

crazybillybob
12-11-2005, 02:49 AM
Glad to know that some of the stuff I post helps out!:)

Crazybillybob