PDA

View Full Version : Idle computer Bluescreens

Pointy_Stick
07-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Hey people,

Sometimes, whenever I leave my computer just sitting, either on the desktop or with a window or application open, my computer goes to bluescreen for no reason as I can tell. Here's what the blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is installed properly. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000008, 0x00000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...

Any ideas on what's going on? Like I said, this happens when the computers just sitting. I'm going to update the BIOS and and drivers to the latest releases, but is there anything more specific you can see to fix it? I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit on the hardware under 'My System' at the top of this post.

Thanks in advance.

Luke122
07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Try disabling your screen saver, and/or checking the "resources" tab under each hardware device in your device mangler.. err.. manager. Some things might be set to "allow windows to disable this device to save power", and that could be causing the problem.

Drum Thumper
07-22-2008, 02:39 AM
What's your PSU rated at?

Luke122
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Does it only happen when idle, or when you are using it too? If it's only when idle, I suspect the power management is causing an issue. If it's happening when you are using it, then the PSU rating (as mentioned above by Drumthumper) might be too low for your hardware.

Also, make sure hibernation is disabled as well.. it's possible the there *MIGHT* be damage on your hdd (bad sector), and it's located in the hiberfil.sys file, which is only activated/accessed when teh computer tries to go into hibernation.

Pointy_Stick
07-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys. DrumThumper, my PSU is a CoolerMaster 650 watt so I don't think that's the issue. Luke, I'll try disabling hibernation like you said and see what that does.

By the way, would it be worth getting Vista SP1? I haven't yet because my internet sucks but I'll get it if it would do some good, not just on this issue but overall.

Thanks again.

Drum Thumper
07-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I'd have to agree with you, your PSU, unless it is faulty, is not the weakest link. I know from firsthand experience how beefy that piece of hardware is.

If things are still acting weird, review what programs you've installed since this started acting up. Also, when was the last time you ran a virus check? You might think your computer is idle, but there could be something eating away at your cpu usage.

Pointy_Stick
07-23-2008, 02:46 AM
I have a uni lecture in about 15 mins (good thing I live across the road :D). I'll leave the computer on and check on it in an hour when my lectures over. If its still good when I come back I think the problem should be sorted. I'll let you know what happens.

crenn
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
If you uni allows downloads (without costing too much), take a small HDD and download Vista SP1. I think I clocked up around 15-18GB last semester >.>;