PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Job at a Bike Shop.

Omega
07-23-2008, 01:19 AM
sup TBCS.

I talked to a potential employer and he told me that in addition to my resume, I should write a bit on why I want to work at the bike shop.

Posting that bit here for you guys to give me suggestions on...

Here goes:

My name is (omega), and I want to work at a bike shop. There are, in fact, several reasons why I want to work at a bike shop. One of the reasons is the atmosphere, another is my willingness to work, and the last reason that I will discuss is the experience I hope to gain.

Something that I feel is very important in any establishment is the atmosphere, and I am very fond of the atmosphere at the Hub Cyclery. It is a friendly, helpful atmosphere, where, as a customer, I have felt welcome and properly helped in a timely and polite manner. Not only do I greatly appreciate this about the Hub Cyclery, but I also believe that I can attribute to the atmosphere and personality the shop has. I am enthusiastic, helpful, and motivated. I would gladly help customers and help with the general upkeep of the shop

Speaking of motivation, I should make mention that I am quite motivated to work. While I understand that I will not be fixing bikes right away, I would be more than happy just to have a job at the Hub Cyclery. I am willing to do most any job, such as cleaning, answering/making phone calls, taking out the trash and/or recycling, stocking and organizing things onto the shelves, taking inventory, working the register, and any other jobs I might have missed.

As I am still a high school student, during the summer I can work any hours from 11am onwards (and any time on weekends), and during the school year I can work any time from 4pm onwards (and any time on weekends), unless I make specific note of exceptions in advance. I hope that the timeframes I am available to work are acceptable and helpful to the shop.

Lastly, I wish to work at the Hub Cyclery for the experience that it offers. While my ultimate goal at a bike shop would be to eventually become a bicycle mechanic, experience in customer relations and organizational skills will greatly benefit me both in the short term and throughout life. Although I have no professional bicycle fixing experience, I am mechanically inclined by nature and a quick learner.

I hope that what I have said here will lead you to consider me as a potential employee at the Hub Cyclery. I am enthusiastic, motivated, responsible and mature. I am also a member of the biking community who wishes to serve and possibly help expand our community in a helpful, friendly, and encouraging manner.

Trace
07-23-2008, 02:12 AM
but I also believe that I can attribute to the atmosphere and personality the shop has
i think that you need to change attribute to contribute.

Omega
07-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks for that catch, Trace.

blueonblack
07-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Speaking of motivation, I should make mention that I am quite motivated to work.

I think you should drop the word "make" in this sentence. You make mention OF something, without the "of" it sounds better without the "make".

Good luck on the job! I personally have never once in my life had a job that I enjoyed, so if you want it I really hope you get it.
________
Vapir one review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/vapir-air-one/)

Omega
07-23-2008, 02:38 AM
I think you should drop the word "make" in this sentence. You make mention OF something, without the "of" it sounds better without the "make".

Good luck on the job! I personally have never once in my life had a job that I enjoyed, so if you want it I really hope you get it.

Right now, I think I'll just be happy working there. It'll be my first real job (although on my Resume, I will put down TBCS and my work as a radio show host and an amateur machinist). Like I wrote in the letter, I do want to become a mechanic at some time but I really just want a job there to start. I'll definitely have a leg above most of my friends... most of them hate their jobs because they all just went to target/scandia/fast food places. I don't want to be a bike mechanic all my life but I can only imagine I'd enjoy it.

And hey man, life is too short to dawdle around in unfavorable affairs. Opportunities are everywhere. I'm just glad I was paying attention enough to seize this one. Or hopefully seize it.

Thanks again for the help, mates. I think tomorrow after my bass lesson I'll cross the street and turn in my letter and resume, and hope they call (or email or write or ask them if I should call, but you get the point).

blueonblack
07-23-2008, 02:55 AM
And hey man, life is too short to dawdle around in unfavorable affairs. Opportunities are everywhere. I'm just glad I was paying attention enough to seize this one. Or hopefully seize it.

That is a fact, and I'm glad to hear you saw it early. Listen to whoever you want, but the fact is that while this will always be true, the opportunities get fewer as life goes on. Let us know how it turns out!
________
Vapir no2 (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

Omega
07-23-2008, 03:00 AM
That is a fact, and I'm glad to hear you saw it early. Listen to whoever you want, but the fact is that while this will always be true, the opportunities get fewer as life goes on. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm of the mind that the opportunities only get fewer if you refuse to look at ALL of them. Some of them may not present themselves in your current or desired field, but they're there nonetheless. For instance, if I was offered a job at the music store, while that doesn't have anything to do with where I am trying to go, I'd still probably work there. Because I love music, and instruments, and such.

anywho, enough philosophical stuff for now, I need to sleep.

XcOM
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
My name is (omega), and I want to work at a bike shop. There are, in fact, several reasons why I want to work at a bike shop. One of the reasons is the atmosphere, another is my willingness to work, and the last reason that I will discuss is the experience I hope to gain.

i think you should drop the "I WANT" never use that term, use something like "I WOULD LIKE"

i noticed it a few times, it sounds better if you say "i would like"

Airbozo
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Good luck Omega! If you need references...

The experience you will gain working in a bike shop will only help you in life. Plus it's a great way to get some mechanical experience and meet people.

...the opportunities get fewer as life goes on...

...in my 35+ years of working I find this to be exactly opposite (I have been supporting myself since I was 12). The more experience I gain the more doors are opened up to me.

My adopted father was not a wise man, but one of the wisest things I have ever heard, came out of his mouth; "If you are not #1 in your field make sure to learn many jobs so you will never go hungry". This little piece of advice has shaped the way I approach all of my jobs and has allowed me many opportunities. I strive to be #1 in everything I do, but in reality I am not the type of person to dedicate my life to one experience or job. I like to do too many things to just focus on one path.

blueonblack
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think that I was probably premature in the above post that has been quoted twice now. I was speaking from my personal experience, and I made some bad choices early on that slammed a lot of doors. I shouldn't generalize my own experience. As Airbozo said, if one approaches it correctly, it could in fact work the other way.

I stand corrected, thanks.
________
TOYOTA TF103 SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_TF103)