PDA

View Full Version : how to get chrome look?

SaWBLaDe
11-14-2005, 04:37 AM
hey guys as some of u know ive been painting my case and for a few parts i want them to be chrome but i realise that u cant really get a good effect with spraypaint chrome and i was wandering if maybe vinyl would be a good option? if so were could i get some from locally (considering im in australia)
BTW by "vinyl" i mena like the stuff u get for your xbox like a big sticker

SaWBLaDe
11-15-2005, 07:00 PM
hey hey i managed to source some of the "avery" vinyl in bright chrome its the same stuff they use on car decals apparently. if anyone in Australia, Melbourne area is interested i can either give u the details of the company or i can order some extra with mine then send it out to you. btw it comes in almost every colour you can think of even in chameleon colours which looks awesome theres also any colour chrome ie orange green blue red black theres even brushed aluminium looking one and depending on which type u go for they can last years and years and years. Anyway Cheers SaWBLaDe.

wingman358
11-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm interested (though I don't live in Australia), what's the stuff called?

SaWBLaDe
11-15-2005, 10:48 PM
its simply "vinyl" by a company called Avery its much easier to get in europe and the US compared to australia u can cut it to whatever shape u want and it will outlast your computer also depending on what type you get depends on the lifespan its also resistent to high temperautes and very low temperatures. this stuff aside from being used for automotive decals is also mostly used for signmaking. here is a link to there webpage im sure u will find more info on it here: http://www.avery.com/home.html but to find it whereever u are u shoudl try what i did and just look for signmaking shops i managed to find a few here that have it and im ordering some today. sorry i couldnt be of more help. SaWBLaDe

montmorency
11-16-2005, 05:24 PM
woah thats awesome! nice find sawblade!

wingman358
11-16-2005, 07:26 PM
That was all the info I needed, sawblade, thank you!

onelegout
11-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Find a shop which sells spraypaint used for graffiti writing (NOT normal spraypaint which is thin and ****ty). You are looking for a can called 'Molotow burner chrome' it comes in 600ml and 400ml and will cover perfectly in one single coat with a fantastic finish. Just remember to shake it for like 4 mins before using it, especialy the 600ml!

SaWBLaDe
11-16-2005, 11:27 PM
thx for the info onelegout but i think ill stick with the vinyl so unless i i have huge problems with it (which i highly doubt since ive used small bits of it before) also its much easier to cut it into flames which is what im planning rather than to tape off areas anyway ill probably pick up a can of that stuff anyway sounds handy to have aslo there just happens to be a place in the city ("downtown" i think is how they say it in the US) that sells nothing but graffiti paint and music. :P SaWBLaDe.

onelegout
11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
thx for the info onelegout but i think ill stick with the vinyl so unless i i have huge problems with it (which i highly doubt since ive used small bits of it before) also its much easier to cut it into flames which is what im planning rather than to tape off areas anyway ill probably pick up a can of that stuff anyway sounds handy to have aslo there just happens to be a place in the city ("downtown" i think is how they say it in the US) that sells nothing but graffiti paint and music. :P SaWBLaDe.
Hahah just realised you're from smellburn! Melbourne is graffiti mecca right now! Come to think of it, i think that one of the graff writers i know from melbourne works in a printers and has tonnes of vinyl, im sure i could get you some free.....I'll email him now!

Edit: aaah no my bad he's from sydney! I'll still ask around though
Peace
H

snickells
11-17-2005, 07:25 PM
SaWBLaDe, whats the name or address of that shop? id love to get some of that thick spray for ravage. Cheers!

SaWBLaDe
11-17-2005, 07:32 PM
sorry dude i dont know the address or name of the shop ive just walked past it a fair few times in the city i remember looking and and i was like WTF? spraypaint and music? lol anywaymy brother might recall the name so ill ask him when he gets home from work see if he knows. SaWBLaDe

snickells
11-17-2005, 07:41 PM
That would be great, thanks a million ^_^

crenn
11-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Was it near melbourne central? IF so I might know the place you're talking about.

SaWBLaDe
11-18-2005, 01:56 AM
well ive gone past it a heap of times so i think its in melbourne central. at the moment i doing everything i can to find out the naem and exact location so ill get back to you asap. P.S my brother aint home yet rofl
SaWBLaDe

crenn
11-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Does Hobby Place ring a bell? I so, then it's on Lonsdale street, where do you normally head from Melbourne Central?

SaWBLaDe
11-18-2005, 04:39 AM
hey crenn i checked out the webpage for hobby place (http://www.hobbyplace.com.au/ ) and although that looks like a sweet place to look for models and stuff thats not it it only sells spraypaint and music and it was not a huge shop anyway ill keep looking hopefully the shop is still there and i find it. SaWBLaDe