PDA

View Full Version : I hate laptops!

Drew
07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Help me pleeeeeeeease!

I have a friends laptop here (Acer Inspire 5100) and the damn thing keeps turning itself off.

It takes a couple of minutes... but after them minutes, kapow! It's off.

It's had a new HDD (this problem was there before I replaced the HDD before you start...) and it kinda makes it hard to reinstall an operating system if it keeps stopping :(

Making me very sad boy :(

I don't have a huge amount of experience with laptops (barely any in fact) and ANY help anyone can give would be MOST appreciated.

FuzzyPlushroom
07-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I suppose the obvious culprit here is heat. What's the BIOS say that your CPU/chipset temperatures are? Are the fans spinning? Does it feel hot? How hot?

Failing that, I'd be looking at a power issue, either the external "brick" or the DC-DC board in the laptop itself.

moon111
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Real easy to break an AC jack. Do we know the battery has/is getting power? If the battery is fully-charged, it'll be something else.

SgtM
07-24-2008, 08:04 PM
*edited title due to content*

Drew
07-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Sorry about the title, I didn't appreciate that it may be offensive.

I think the battery itself is fine... it does exactly the same with the battery removed (and running on AC).

The BIOS gives me no temperature readings anywhere at all (it seems to be a very basic BIOS).

The fan is spinning... it does feel pretty warm (bear in mind I'm used to desktops so high temperatures are a bit alien to me) - I don't know how warm it's meant to get.

I'd say the temperature was probably well at the upper end of normal but I can't see any way of improving the cooling except putting it on a cooling platform (and besides, it hasn't always done this and as far as I am aware the environment of the laptop han't changed).

Might a dust and crap build up result in enough of a heat build up to make a computer shut itself down?

*edit* It's done it again, and it feels stone cold.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Drew
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Solved it.

Half a dog between the fan and heatsink fins.

Dirty bird.

Snowman
07-26-2008, 12:26 PM
That will definitely do it. I recently took my laptop apart and cleaned three years of dust out of it and it runs somewhat cooler but i am used to a warm lap I have a desktop replacement that I used in college

Eclecticos
07-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Solved it.

Dirty bird.

What the hell does that mean? :D

Drew
07-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Solved it.

Problem sorted. Computer working as new.

Large amount of dog hair trapped against the cooling fins leading to a lack of airflow and hence a heat build up around the CPU leading to the BIOS shutting the laptop down to prevent damage.

Dirty bird.

Owner is a minger, and needs to be rid of the damn dog (I dont' like dogs).

:D ;) :D ;)

FuzzyPlushroom
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I'd figured it was a combination of dog hair and bird dander. We've got a cat, a dog, and three birds, but none of them come in here - and thank God for that, as I run my case with the side off. :D

The_Crippler
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Solved it.

Dirty bird.

I came in here to ask, "Is there a dog in the house with the LT." Well, I can see that would have been the right thing to ask.

Drew
08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
U da man!

Snowman
08-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I just thought of something on my way to work this morning. Did you happen to lay down some new thermal grease on the cpu and highly recommend on the gpu cooler as well. Not only will this help but it will keep the laptop much cooler.

progbuddy
08-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Ummmmm... It's an Acer. Everyone knows those are made in Italy ;).

Love you Paul.

-Kevin

Drew
08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I just thought of something on my way to work this morning. Did you happen to lay down some new thermal grease on the cpu and highly recommend on the gpu cooler as well. Not only will this help but it will keep the laptop much cooler.

I didn't remove the CPU....

Or the GPU...

I assume you mean as a preventative/ improvement measure?

nevermind1534
08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
It could help to bring down the temp a few degrees.

Snowman
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I didn't remove the CPU....

Or the GPU...

I assume you mean as a preventative/ improvement measure?

Right on both counts my fans almost never run anymore unless I am running dreamweaver cs3 photoshop cs3 and some other intensive program all at the same time simply because it does not get hot enough. So I would say it is more than a few degrees improvement.

nevermind1534
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
It depends on what is on there to begin with.

Snowman
08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Very true my laptop hadn't been taken apart in 3 or 4 years, but in general most companies skimp on thermal grease for some unknown reason.

nevermind1534
08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
The socket 370 cpus just had the wax thermal pads.