PDA

View Full Version : Vista now or Windows 7 later?

TheGreatSatan
07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Some months ago Maximum PC said that XP is still better than Vista when playing games because of driver issues. Has that changed yet? I have an XFX 8800GTS 640MB card and am thinking of making the switch to Vista. XP will be supported till like 2012, so should I just wait for the next itteration?

Killa_Ape
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I would save the money for Windows 7 IMO unless you really really really want DX10 eyecandy. I have Vista and I notice a performance hit on games and pretty much feel I should have waited longer but didn't know at the time Windows 7 would be released so soon.

luciusad2004
08-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Do we honestly know enough about Seven to warrant waiting for it? Isn't it a few years off? I think its to early to even decide whether or not Seven is going to be any better than Vista. I heard they were going to be using the same kernel as vista, not the famed minwin kernel. I would like to think that MS has learned from the mistakes they made w/ vista... but that's my optimistic side.

crenn
08-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I moved from XP 32 to Vista 64. There wasn't too much difference in the main games I play.

.Maleficus.
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I'll be moving to Vista 64 after my upgrade for Shark, but I've got a question (sorry for the thread jack). Does anyone know of a LEGITIMATE version of Vista that gives unlimited installs? Or one that will allow me to uninstall and reinstall as I please? I've got some ideas floating around in my head about stuff I'd eventually like to do, but it'll require frequent hardware changes and Windows doesn't like that.

crenn
08-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I think there is an enterprise version with that.... I think

nevermind1534
08-03-2008, 12:09 PM
See if you can get a copy from somebody that works for a university. My dad got the copy of xp that I use at the University of Michigan, although I think they stopped selling discounted software. He also got office xp professional with frontpage with unlimited installs.

.Maleficus.
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Never mind guys, I just realized that unlimited installs would be a waste of money and completely unnecessary. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Eclecticos
08-05-2008, 08:12 AM
For me atleast it's Vista now. Windows 7 Later.
All of the problems I have experienced with Vista
for the most part have been corrected by updates, patches,
and newly released hardware drivers.

I think allot of people are afraid of change and/or an unfamiliar interface.
Fact of the matter is you can either learn it now or be behind later.
No Offense. . that is my personal point of view.

Luke122
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
All of the problems I have experienced with Vista
for the most part have been corrected by updates, patches,
and newly released hardware drivers.

I second that.. I'll be going back to Vista on my laptop as soon as I get all my fires put out at work. :)

Durrthock
08-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Some months ago Maximum PC said that XP is still better than Vista when playing games because of driver issues. Has that changed yet? I have an XFX 8800GTS 640MB card and am thinking of making the switch to Vista. XP will be supported till like 2012, so should I just wait for the next itteration?

Its just people bitching about 3 fps, I say get vista.

XcOM
08-13-2008, 06:38 PM

i know my latop is not the best thing in the world for games, with it only having an intergraded nvidia 7100m graphics card and all,

but in vista home premium i played AOM and got a blistering 14fps (Fraps) and in xp i got a sluggish 38fps (Fraps again)

Airbozo
08-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I am currently dual booting XP Pro x32 and Vista Ultimate x64.

I like vista, but several games will not run in vista (Dirt, GoW, and a couple others I do not remember). I have not noticed any difference in the games that run on both OS's, but since SP1 the performance issues have mostly been dealt with. I have seen info on other forums that indicate XP still gets ~5fps more than Vista on the same hardware and game.

YMMV...

Killa_Ape
08-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Yeah I lose 20+ FPS on newer games, older ones like War 3 I don't care b/c I get enough I don't notice a difference. I've upgraded recently and don't notice the FPS difference b/c I don't stutter but it is noticable to some people.

Ap1thy
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I got 4-5 fps better on vista with my 3870 (not that I cared, but for the sake of pointing out it all depends on the hardware you use), never looked back since I upgraded. I have yet to see an vista-related crash or performace hit

crenn
08-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I've seen Vista crashes (unknown reasoning) :P

Killa_Ape
08-16-2008, 11:40 PM
I get steam game crashes sometimes and it always dies when I exit out of valve games, but it doesn't affect my game at least so yay. But everytime I close TF2 I get "TF2 has stopped responding blah blah blah"

I don't know who to blame more, valve or microsoft.

crenn
08-17-2008, 04:13 AM
In that case, Valve. They know about it, but aren't too concerned about it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706295

Killa_Ape
08-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Awesome gotta love valve and there lack of fixing the issue ;p