07-29-2008, 09:53 PM
A new story entry has been added:

PC's of Our History- A Walk Down Memory Lane by TGS

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/xcom/History_Comp_Final.jpg</img>
Computers of Yesteryear

I love old computers. I don

The_Crippler
07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Nice article. I'm right there with you. My father worked in the defense industry back in the day, and every once in a while, he got to bring the family in (when everything sensitive was locked away.) In still remember how cool those computers seemed.

Later, when he brought the first family one home, I was much more interesting in what games it could play (generally pixilated, rough stick figures on the screen) than what was inside. Wasn't until I went to college and he wasn't around to fix my PC that I cracked the side of the box open.

I still prefer to work with old cases in my mods. They bring me back, and they just seem more solid and stable. Sometimes, moving forward is looking back.

blueonblack
07-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Well now this article brings back memories. Like the little proprietary magnetic tape storage used on the TRS-80 machines, and my lust for the Commodore 128. (That thing was sexy before I discovered the female of the species.) And using standard audio cassettes to store data (no idea what the data was) from my Commodore 16. Yes, we could not afford the 64.

And you're right, there are not many areas that we can look back and see such radical change. I mean, the 128 was bleeding edge at the time. 128K of RAM. Wow, what would we DO with all that POWER? My present system has thirty thousand times that. (If my remedial math skills are up to the task.) Technology is awesome. :D
________
Elysion (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Elysion)

nevermind1534
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
128K of RAM. Wow, what would we DO with all that POWER? My present system has thirty thousand times that. (If my remedial math skills are up to the task.) Technology is awesome. :D

Mine has 3200 times that. Maybe you should upgrade from your 3 MB stick of RAM.That's only assuming that my math and the calculator from accesories were correct.

XcOM
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
128k x 30,000 / 1024 = 3750MB

Vexxx_2007
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
it's funny how a great article like that turned out to be a big math lesson :D

jdbnsn
07-31-2008, 12:54 AM
I love TGS's articles, he's got a gift.

TheGreatSatan
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I just write what's interesting