PDA

View Full Version : Well this is a new problem to me....

crenn
07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Well.... to say the least, things went wrong today. During transport to a friend's house today, one of my 320GB drives in RAID0 had its SATA connector snapped off (the pins are fine, the plastic bit is in the connector in the cable). While I haven't lost data (I managed to successfully slide the connector back onto the pins to get it to work) I need a solution to make an image of my array (no DVDs..... I don't have that many DVDs) so I can 'undo' the RAID0 so I can put stuff onto my 'good' drive. I have 182GB of stuff on this array and a 1TB drive which has enough space free on it to easily fit that.

So I'm wondering if it's possible (without using DVDs) to make an image of my drive and then copy it all over to the drive which isn't broken after I've undone the array. The 'broken' drive technically is working, just I want to RMA the drive if I can. Hopefully a freeware solution.... strapped for cash currently.

J-Roc
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
You dont have to make a backup image. Just copy the files to your 1Tb spare drive then put em back once you've recieved your replacment drive.

If it was your boot drive, you'll need to use another computer to put the files back or you can use a live cd of linux to do it too.

crenn
07-31-2008, 03:29 AM
It was one of my RAID0 drives (I use it for OS). I'm hoping to avoid having to install several games (my data is backed up already).

Eclecticos
07-31-2008, 05:16 AM
You should download "Acronis True Image (http://www.download.com/Acronis-True-Image-Home/3000-2242_4-10168093.html?cdlPid=10744891)" and Dupe the drive.
I have broken the plastic thing off the sata connector on one of my harddrives, I tried to superglue it back in there, but it just kept falling off. I suppose the connector could be replaced, but I don't know where to buy the replacement part.

crenn
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Apparently Seagate will RMA the drive (I need to pull it out before I can find out). I need to go shopping for a handful of right angled SATA connectors.

Luke122
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
You should download "Acronis True Image (http://www.download.com/Acronis-True-Image-Home/3000-2242_4-10168093.html?cdlPid=10744891)" and Dupe the drive.

I second this.. install the 1tb drive into the case, run the clone from the array to the new drive. Once its done, power down, remove the broken drive and disconnect the other one, then leave only the 1tb drive connected.

Reboot the computer and use. :) Once the new drive arrives, reconnect it, clone back from the 1tb to the array, and you are good to go. :D

crenn
08-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, all I need to do now is mail my HDD to Seagate and get the replacement drive.