PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here!

Overconfidence
11-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums but not too new to case modding. To start off, I'll show a picture of my current case before I get on to more.. pressing matters ;) .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/Overconfidence/comp3.jpg

That's my beast, All custom (including the thermometer on the front, haha), made from a crappy 30 dollar case (including power supply!!). I'm currently building up a totally custom watercooling system (home-made), and am planning on making a mini-case to go under my current case to fit the pump/radiator inside of.

This is where it gets tricky.

I'm also looking at upgrading my entire system some time in the near future, and that will require more than my zero dollar PSU. Now, I'm looking into the Antec p150, a nice, quiet case that includes a 430W HE PSU.

http://www.antec.com/images/160/P150_q.jpg

I'd like to mod the case, but keep it's silencing characteristics. This means leaving the sound deadening panels intact, unless you guys have any bright ideas 8) .

Barring opening up the side of it, what mods can I do? I was thinking of doing a white/red theme (the case is white)... that would mean red CCFLS inside my mini-case, shining out through the heatercore (would make an awesome looking pattern), a pair of UV CCFLS on the top and bottom of side panel of the main case, with a design done in red UV paint between them, perhaps have a shroud around the UV lights so that their light only shine on the design. Also could look at making a window in place of a pair of front drive bays with some red LEDs behind, shining onto an etched design.

Those are just a few of my ideas, does anyone have any more good ones? Most mods revolve around a side window, so I'd like to see if anyone has something other than that.

Or, if you think that the only way is to showcase the hardware, convince me to get this case and rip a hole in the side, or convince me to buy a different case :D !

Thanks,
~OC

public_eyesore
11-20-2005, 12:34 AM
first, maybe a theme would be nice. If you look at TheGreatSatan's project lost, you might get an idea of more on the extreme side of modding. Or if you want to keep it nice and slick, i suggest looking at some of defyant's mods which are spectacular at being simple yet elegant. It determines what you want. A theme is the best way to start though.

As for the sound deadening, water cooling is almost silent, especially with a fanless radiator, like Zalman makes. The best you could probably do, is get a water cooled/sound dampering harddrive mount and a fanless radiator.

Rankenphile
11-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Is there a theme you are looking for, to reflect some of your interests, or are you going more for just a slick look?

Emo nailed the sound issue - if you want real quiet, your best bet is a watercooled box with near-silent pumps and a fanless radiator. That should give you the silent feature you are looking for, and still allow a window in the side if you so choose.

If you are going for slick, with the read and white, there are a ton of ways to implement it. It's all a matter of personal style. If you are seeking a theme, let us know what you are aiming for and we might be able to suggest some ideas.

Otherwise, welcome to the boards, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Overconfidence
11-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys, I just read through a couple amazing mod threads and got some creatives juices moving around.

Just so that we're level here, I just turned 14 years old, so I don't have a ton of money to spend this way, but I do have a few sheets of Lexan lying around and access to a fair amount of tooling and materials.

It's getting a bit late where I am so I'll leave for the night, I might have some good ideas in the morning though :P (theme-wise).

I have an old p2 case that I might chop up if I have any great ideas though. I am going to have watercooling with a radiator WITH fans, but I suppose I can cool the upper portion with a low RPM 120mm fan (including a kickass window) while dampening the lower windowless portion. If all else fails I can go for a p150 and make a slick mod without windows anyhow.

Overconfidence
11-20-2005, 07:05 PM
I'd edit my last post, but the forum's being a bit screwy on me so I'll just put it in this new one ;).

I forgot that I gave my p2 case to a friend, but it has really crappy thermals ATM, so I might get it back from him to chop up.

Theme-wise.. I think I'll be going for something to do with guns. My dad does target shooting so he has a crapload of shells that I can use for props, as well as (maybe, if I could actually find an application, which I can't) some old stocks.

I'm still confused over a case... any ideas for a good <$80 case (unless it comes with a good power supply) that would lend itself to chopping? Coolermaster centurion (windowless, PSU-less, no special anodizing) fits within that and looks to be of nice build quality... only the front bezel sort of bugs me (not square, annoying if I'm putting a mini-case underneath), but could that be fixed? Also peeked at the ASUS TA250, comes with a 350W PSU though, sort of wasting cash but whatever. Also a big fat ASUS logo on the front, could be done over? Or should I scrap that, only buy a PSU, and get my crapster case back and put it under the knife?

Anyway, any ideas to do with guns would be welcome, I'm not stuck on my idea by any means (I might even think it's crap in five minutes :P). I do have an airbrush, lathe (don't see how that helps right now), drill press, sandblaster, buffing tools, grinder, heatgun at home, and at my dad's work there's some breaks and heavier/larger machinery, plus MAYBE laser etching and anodizing (might be only black, and I'd have to convince him to slip it in ;D).

public_eyesore
11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156002
the case will cost about 40 to get it shipped to you. The reason i chose it is it has the room for 4 fans in the front and the front bezel looks easwily moddable. I know its steal, so dont wet sand until you get a coat of rustoleum on it. Ive actually been interested in this case my self, but money is low and for me, hardware comes before mods.

Overconfidence
11-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Only problem is I live in Canada. I have a PO box in the US, but I don't know if Newegg allows billing to a Canadian address.

Another little thing. If I do go for the p150 (as I love the case and it'd be fun to mod, just have to do some planning beforehand so I don't screw it up badly =P), do you think I'd be able to peel off the side dampening panels, or would I just cut through 'em? Here's the picture of it (from the inside):

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/P150_review/Door_damp_01.jpg

Also, any ideas (gun-wise) would be great. Was thinking of a window with mesh behind it, and have holes in the window where I would place shells. Behind the holes in the window, I'd tear apart the mesh to make it look like it got shot through (even though the shell doesn't actually go through, be quiet :P), and maybe even have an LED inside the shell shining through (if I could fit a little LED inside). Amber, black, and white is looking to be the color base, unless you guys think there's a better color to go with the theme (wouldn't mind any color, as long as it's not BLUE, haha).