PDA

View Full Version : Underneath intake fans = effective?

genesis2563
11-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I have this case: Thermaltake Sviking (http://www.thermaltake.com/images/cases/products/sviking/enlargedView.jpg)
And I am using the feet stands, so there is a gap underneath. I know that laptops are cooled through inatke fans underneath that suck in the air and i was wondering if that would be effective for a pc tower.

I was planning on cutting a 120mm hole in the bottom of the case to help with the cooling, maybe put a smaller 80mm on top later.

If you have any knowledge/opinions on this Id appreciate it very much.

Thanks.

public_eyesore
11-20-2005, 03:37 PM
yes, many people relying on speifically air cooling will tell you to put fans in the bottom. It help cool the video card and it circulates air and brings in fresh air.

Pascs
11-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Just a thought but would the restricted space underneath the case cause additional noise from the air as it is sucked through the fan?

MrSlacker
11-26-2005, 02:41 PM
depending on how much space you have. if its just enough to put a fan, i'd say NO. fan will not have enough space to grab the air. (not sure if its the right to say it).

Ozzhedian
12-03-2005, 01:48 PM
If the fan is inside the pc on the floor and there is about an inch space between the pc base and the desk, then you should be fine. If you really want to make sure, then build a tester. Get a piece of wood, add feet to it so that it's the same height as your case. Drill a hole for the intake and mount the fan. You'll hear if it is monted too low.

Forvak
12-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I have a question that relates to this. Will passive intakes like a large section of mesh draw enough air in to cool the case if there are exhaust fans blowing out of the case?