PDA

View Full Version : "Monster" themed mod (question on acrylic)

Ryboxl2
11-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Hello All! :D
I'm new to the forums and I was thinking of starting my very on mod project. The theme would be based of those Monster Energy Drinks( you know, the tall green and black things). Anyway, my computer is a stock black Squarpio-X case, and I'm already sick of the look, lol. So, what I was planning on doing was buying an all acrylic case cover, and cutting out a piece to insert an empty Monster drink can in there. Easy enough, but my question was how do you crack acrylic without breaking it, the whole look is like someone threw the drink at the case and its half way in, and halfway out. So, is there an easy way to do this with simple tools, or how should I attempt it? :D

Thanks,
Ryan

Overconfidence
11-20-2005, 07:11 PM
What would be really cool would be if you put a sort of rubber lining inside the can and used it as a reservoir for a watercooling system.

As for your idea.. if you cut out a rectangle and inserted the can in there (or whatever shape, if you put it in at an angle), you could take a piece of metal (sharp point) and scratch lines out to immitate the shattering without.. actually shattering it. Basically, etch it with whatever you see fit. Also, sanding around the 'scratches' would make a cool effect with a light behind it (One of the prominant mods, I believe the HP3 or something played around with sanding the acrylic or like materials).

Ryboxl2
11-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Ahh yes Overconfidence, lol, I like the idea of etching the scratches, ok, I might as well list some ideas I have......

1. Going to have many "sound activated" LEDs(mainly lime green)

2. The softdrink can will be lit from the inside, I'm going to cut out the "M" on the can and place Green LEDs inside of it.

3. I'm getting a water cooled system for christmas, with green fluid(perfect!) and I'm going to buy extra tubing so I can make it extend out of the can in cool angles...

4. This one may be tricky, but I thought it would be cool to place a miny servo inside the bottom of the can with half a circular weight attached to it, and Have that periodically go off to simulate a "heart beat" he he gonna need some help with this one.

5. On the reverse side of the tower, I was gonna use some of that led cable or whatever its called, and I was gonna Make the "M" on the side etched into the tower itself (same way the lightning was done on the "stormed" project)

So, as for a budget, I was hopefully going to keep it under $50, excluding the water cooled system

Now, in a personal opinion, do you guys and gals think that this is feasable(spellcheck), or way over my head? lol, I'm 15 so.....

crazybillybob
11-20-2005, 08:17 PM
A good way to simulate cracks in Plexi is to etch them in. This way you can control how deep the "Crack"is and how it radiates out. Plus if you light it correctly the etch will show up better then a real crack.

Good luck,
Crazybillybob

Post pics and you'll get more detailed answers that aply better to your problem on question.

Rankenphile
11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Sounds mighty interesting, but you'll be surprised how quickly the $50 goes.

As far as etching in the cracks, a Xacto/razor blade might be the easiest way to go. There are a few other mods out there that have done similar things - do some research, you may find some inspiration.

Overconfidence
11-20-2005, 08:42 PM
One thing about the can for watercooling: It's made of aluminum, which is ****ty for corrosion. If you line it with rubber, however, or put a different brass or plastic reservoir inside, then you'll be fine (or if your waterblock is aluminum, which sucks anyway).

Ryboxl2
11-20-2005, 08:53 PM
ha ha ha, ya, I'm not gonna use the can as the tank, too risky, but thanks for all of the positive comments and helpful hints everybody, I'm already liking this forum... :D