PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting

xRyokenx
08-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Anyone else here paint stuff on the computer? Here's a piece I'm working on right now, keep in mind it's still a WIP.

LINK (http://ryoken-ryagnaroth.deviantart.com/art/WIP-From-Whence-I-Came-94788774)

Drum Thumper
08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Damn dude, you've improved immensely since the last time I looked at your work (which if memory serves, had a sock puppet in it). I especially like the grass on this plateau, that looks like it took some time.

I'm guessing you're doing this with a tablet?

xRyokenx
08-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah. I spent about six hours on this thing, lol. One thing I'm going to do different next time is have a much higher resolution. 1600x1200 isn't good for adding tons of smaller details, lol. The grass didn't actually take forever, that was maybe ten minutes? Glad you like it. :D

EDIT: By the way, above painting is pretty much finished.

Luke122
08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I do most of my digital artwork @ 300-600dpi, and usually 8x10".

xRyokenx
08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
That would make more sense, lol. Mine was 600dpi but it was 1600x1200, lol. I'll give that a try.

xRyokenx
08-16-2008, 07:27 PM
For those who are interested, here's a link to a slideshow of the evolution of it all, lol. It's cool seeing how things become the final version.

LINK (http://s519.photobucket.com/albums/u351/Ryoken_Ryagnaroth/From%20Whence%20I%20Came/?albumview=slideshow)

jdbnsn
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Bravo Anthony! I agree with Joe that you are getting better fast. I understand the color choice to reflect mood and like what you used, I think you could probably expand your color range further to even better lend depth to the overall work. My favorite feature are those little edges of reflected sunshine on the left of the mountains. Makes me think that through the morose valley lies splinters of hope and direction. Keep up the good work dude!

xRyokenx
08-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm still figuring out my program, gotta figure out how to customize the color palette. And by the way, those edges of reflective sunshine weren't intentional, they just worked out that way, lol. I'm glad you guys enjoy my painting. Maybe I'll have another one amongst my schoolwork in the next month or so.

Drum Thumper
08-17-2008, 02:26 AM
My favorite feature are those little edges of reflected sunshine on the left of the mountains. Makes me think that through the morose valley lies splinters of hope and direction. Keep up the good work dude!

I have to say, the above mentioned is one of my favorite parts as well. The first thing that it reminded me of was Mordor, and specifically Orodruin. And any geek worth his or her salt should be able to figure out what I'm blabbering about.

calumc
08-17-2008, 09:32 AM
<3 the background

xRyokenx
08-17-2008, 11:25 AM
:]

Elenril
08-27-2008, 09:50 AM
You've definitely improved heaps! It really does have a hellish mood about it, you've done well with that. May I offer a few suggestions?

As Jon already mentioned, maybe try extending your tonal range a bit. Both colours and highlights and shadows. One way to quickly check your tonal range is to convert your image to greyscale. Ideally, you'll have lots of contrast, ranging from pure blacks to whites, with plenty of greys in between. I know you're aiming for a specific colour scheme to create a certain mood, but don't be afraid to go a bit wild with contrast. Contrast can add HEAPS to a painting, and you can also use it to emphasise more important parts of it that you want to draw focus to, such as the castle.

Adding onto my comment about colour and contrast; you want to throw in a light source. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a specific one, and it looks a bit flat. Have a contrasting light source to add definition to your highlights and shadows.

I really like that tree, now that I look at it again.

Lastly, for now, don't try to paint with too much detail. Try doing paintings that focus on elements of the tone and structure of the overall painting. Do them in low resolutions and concentrate on how to create a certain object or element of landscape (for example) without drawing in the actual details. In case I'm not making myself clear enough, here's a few good examples:
http://jessada-nuy.deviantart.com/art/Speed-Paint-61593811
http://blinck.deviantart.com/art/Forest-Speed-Paint-52588066
http://blinck.deviantart.com/art/Speed-paint-Destroyed-City-53379912
Notice how, when you view the thumbnail, it looks like a fully detailed painting, but when you full view it, they actually don't have that much detail at all? They focus on lighting, composition and structure to achieve the desired effect.

Sorry if my suggestions went on for a bit long... Keep practicing, I can already see your painting skills getting sooo much better, and practice makes perfect. You don't have to pay attention to anything I just wrote lol, they're just suggestions.

Can't wait to see artwork more from you!

xRyokenx
08-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! My next painting will hopefully have more colors, I need to make a custom color palette or something. My reasoning behind the lack of shadows is a) my stupid tool I was going to use for that made everything black, lol and b) it's really cloudy and dark, and usually on cloudy days you can just barely tell shadows are there.

Elenril
08-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Out of interest, what program are you using, and are you painting with a mouse or tablet?

xRyokenx
08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
I am using Deep Paint and a tablet. I can't really afford anything extravagant so a free program will have to do, lol.

flintoff222
04-12-2014, 06:48 AM
today digital painting is one of the most popular category in the paint many peoples realized that without the digital painting no one can make the paint and i personally like and i also want many things for making the digital paint...