PDA

View Full Version : new parts, won't start XP. HELP!

The Great Destroyer
08-20-2008, 08:14 PM
my socket 939 mobo went out, so i decided to go dual core. i didn't reinstall XP because i have files i need to get off my HDD. everything runs fine, but when it starts up, i get to the screen that gives me the Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config. and Start Windows normally. i'm not sure if this is due to my CPU, GPU, or the mobo itself, but no matter what i select, it keeps coming back to that screen.

edit: i unplugged my CD drive so i have just the essentials running, and it gave me

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\drivers\pci.sys
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup...etc.

nevermind1534
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Do a repair installation. I believe that all you will lose would be OS updates and installed drivers. I'v had to do a repair installation for 2000 before, and it went great.

The Great Destroyer
08-20-2008, 09:34 PM
yep, just got finished with it. thanks for the advice though. now i'm transferring everything to my new 500Gb MyBook.

.Maleficus.
08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
For the future; if you ever replace your mobo Windows won't be usable (there are ways around this but for the most part it won't work).

nevermind1534
08-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I've had two experiences doing this, where it was useable. It might have just been the CD that I originally use for those two installations, too. Usually, it won't work, though.

The Great Destroyer
08-21-2008, 07:05 PM
For the future; if you ever replace your mobo Windows won't be usable (there are ways around this but for the most part it won't work).

hmm, my best friend did the same thing when he got new parts, and vista ran just fine afterward.

J-Roc
08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
it could be due to the fact that you changed from AMD to Intel. They have diffrent instruction sets and windows might have got confused. Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD should be less of a problem as each new processor allways has the previous instruction sets.

Just a thought, i could be wrong.

nevermind1534
08-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I switched out a socket PGA370 motherboard with a socket a/462, and I thought I was screwed, but it actually worked. The other time, it was the same chipset, so that's probably why it still worked, unless it was the install disc that I used.

.Maleficus.
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
From what I gather, it has more to do with the way that Windows signs itself to the specific motherboard, not really the instructions of the CPU. I'll have to browse through my PC Gamers though and find the issue that gave the reason/fix.

The Great Destroyer
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
that's what i was always told too: if you change your motherboard, you have to do a fresh install.

AMD Killa
09-13-2008, 09:14 AM
it could be due to the fact that you changed from AMD to Intel.

Just because he said dual core, doesnt mean he went intel, AMD make up to quadcores ;)

Personally I would reformat, unless there was crucial data on there. I would recover that, then reformat ;)