PDA

View Full Version : compaq not starting up

Vitaliy
08-26-2008, 01:09 AM
I seem to be having a problem starting up my compaq desktop..
I was running an anti-virus scan and then deleted the things found, then it said i needed to restart the computer so i pressed ok (I have usd this anti-virus for a while and i trust it...) so I let it restart and left to go to watch a movie on the tv, then 2 hours later, i come back and all i see is a black screen with a - just blinking..

This is what I get when I start it:
compaq screen goes on but nothing works, the F1-12 buttons do not do anything when i press them, the only thing that works is if i press esc, ( If i dont press anything it goes to that blinking thing)

When I press esc, I get a boot menu with these options:
HDD Group
-1st master: samsung sp0802n
cd-rom group
-2nd master: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-44

So i press the 1st master and get an option on how I want the system to start:
Microsoft windows xp home edition
microsoft windows recovery console

I I press xp home edition it goes to hat blinking thing.

So I press the recovery console

Get a loading bar, then goes to a screen saying all this:

Microsoft windows xp recovery console.
The recovery console provides repair and recovery functionality.
Type exit to quit the recovery console and restart computer.

1: D:\MiniNT
2: D:\I386
3: C:\windows

Which windows installation would you like to log onto
[To cancel, press ENTER]? _

So I tried pressing 3 then it asks me for my administrator password which I never remember even setting, so I don't know what command i should type, but if i write help it gives me a bunch of options that I can use for commands.

So what should I do? I am stumped!

XcOM
08-26-2008, 08:59 PM
if you didn't set an administrator password i think its just a blank space, asin just press the space bar once and then enter/return.

Once you are in try doing:
fixmbr
fixboot

WARNING: the above will destroy any boot data currently there and destroy your current MBR, but it will replace them both.

Failing that try using a liveCD of a linux distro or BARTPE if you can, then copy back any missing or currupted files (But you need to find if any are missing/damaged)

or if you have your recovery/install disc start windows setup and select repair when your given the option, this can work normally

Vitaliy
08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I tried doing those commands but it did nothing. It kinda lookslike it loads xp, but then like restarts without ever showing me the windows thing. I tried writing a linux cd b4 but ik if it is working cuz it won't load the cd... just like does the restarting thing, now idk wat to do...

XcOM
08-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Check that your cd is set to boot before your hdd,

if so then try repairing the windows install, this will replace your windows but keep all your files, all you lose are drivers and settings. That way you can recover all your data then peform a full/fresh install

Vitaliy
08-27-2008, 11:09 PM
What part would i need to fix this? as in replace?

XcOM
08-27-2008, 11:14 PM
if you have a recovery cd that came with the pc use that, or if you have a windows install disc use this.

Insert said cd into drive and boot your pc,
boot from cd drive,
Press any key when told to do so
Start windows setup,
when given the option select the windows you wish to repair,
setup will then install windows on top of your existing installiation,
give it 30-60min (Depending on specs)
it will look like a normal install
when finished you will have a new windows installed but all your files should have stayed intacted.

Vitaliy
08-28-2008, 04:43 PM
sorry i missed your first rply, how do you set the cd before the hdd?

XcOM
08-28-2008, 09:22 PM
load your bios and theres a boot option, set the cd-rom/dvd-rom to boot before HDD0

Luke122
08-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Just a quick warning, most recovery cds will completely overwrite the contents of your hard drive, and restore things to factory defaults.

A windows cd will give the option for a repair of a windows installation, which is what I would do here.

Alternately, slaving your hdd into another computer and recovering your files is the best bet, and then just reinstalling from scratch, and restoring your files.