PDA

View Full Version : I need help on my first mod

power_lemon
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
I am making a new computer
It will be a case mod of an old 94 Gateway case and i am still in the phase of gutting the case. are there any suggestions on making this mod look cool
:D all suggestions will be appreciated :D
thank you

Bum
04-01-2005, 12:51 AM
My first suggestion would be to choose a theme. This gives your creativity something to focus on.

zapperfish
04-01-2005, 08:03 AM
if you can get a pic of it we can help you more, but i gotta agree with "BUM" you need to pick a theme. try picking a theme from somthing you like, something that describes you!

Try having a look at some other sites, through there gall's ect. then jot down ideas you like and them impliment them into the theme you have chosen

PS - good luck

fishies
04-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I agree with Bum. A theme is needed. Something to inspire you. Without inspiration, you won't be modding anything.
Before you start making holes, draw up sketches for the design.
Measure twice, cut once.
Always use masking tape on your panels when cutting holes. This will save you horrid scratches, and gives you a clean surface to draw your cutout on.

Lastly, if it feels rushed, stop. You dn't need to rush and make a mistake. Take your time. If it takes you a month to cut out a hole, so be it. There's no race.

Frakk
04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
i cant help with ideas, its ure case and you will be the one using it not anyone else. decide what u want to do on it and ask specific questions like how do u install a fan or how do you wire a new LED or something. we will be more than happy to help

power_lemon
04-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I think the theme will be unreal tounement 2004

fishies
04-03-2005, 11:37 AM
NOw that you have a theme idea, it's time to determine what mods can be done to the case, and what your current skill level with power tools affords you. If you;ve never taken a shop class, you;re really behind the eight-ball.

Before you decide to mod your case, you should make sure you have the right tools and a space to make your mods.

I recommend the following tools and such for modding:

Jigsaw
Power drill
Rivet gun
An assortment of files for metal, wood and plastic
a workbench of some sort.
Dremel or rotary tool
Assortment of drill bits for metal.
tap and dye set. (for making threaded holes)
t-square
rubber mallet
random orbital sander
soldering gun
glue gun
screwdriver set
ratchet set
heat gun
grinder
vise
drillpress

That's just a recommend list for someone starting out. Take from it what is necessary for your mod.

I would recommend at least the drill, jigsaw, file set, random orbital sander, dremel, and the workbench to begin.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.