PDA

View Full Version : Time Restriction software.

luciusad2004
09-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Does anybody know of software for linux that will control how much time i can spend on my computer? I have a problem, and its the fact that my computer is to much of a distraction. It's getting in the way of school work. I thought maybe if i installed some software that would automagicly kick me off of my computer after x-hours, x-minutes, then maybe i can force myself away from this terrible addiction. It does need to have an override though, for those moments when I really do need to use my computer after the time has expired. I don't know if this will be successful in keeping my focused on my homework, but i guess it's worth a shot. Maybe it will keep me from spending all day online.

Anyone know of such software compatable w/ Xubuntu? I would prefer if it was easy to configure, but im not picky as long as it works.

Thanks Guys

Xpirate
09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Set this up in a startup script:
shutdown -h +60

Your machine will shutdown an hour after you start that up.

I commend you for admitting your problem. Getting your degree is important. I delivered pizza and worked retail before I got mine and just made survival wages. Now that I have my diploma, I can afford lots of nice things.

Learn to like doing that school work. I had to develop a new attitude towards my education before I had any hope of finishing it.

Airbozo
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Get an alarm clock with an exceedingly irritating buzzer and put it just out of arms reach of your computer.

Xpirate had a great suggestion too, but instead of shutting the system down, put a script in your login profile (depending on what shell you use), that logs you out after x amount of time;

at now +2hr logout (I think that is the correct syntax, again depending on your shell)

luciusad2004
09-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give that a shot. Only question, Is there anyway to bypass that when i need to get some work done, or would it just be easier to make a second account for work.

Also still open to other suggestions.

Airbozo
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Make the second account for work and keep your original in case you really need that marathon computer experience.

Xpirate
09-12-2008, 05:24 PM
A second account is an excellent idea. That way you leave all of your fun internet shortcuts on your play account and set this one up strictly for the business of doing homework.

You might also want to minimize any stuff around your machine that could be distracting to you. I know how difficult it is to concentrate on some of that school work, but getting that diploma is very worth it in the end. The work will become more fun when you get into your major classes.