PDA

View Full Version : How do you start overclocking

power_lemon
03-31-2005, 06:09 PM
i want to start over clocking but i dont understand how so can anyone help me

Frakk
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
we need a little more information about what you want to overclock.
google.com is a good friend of yours. there are lots of good how-to's. also if you have stock cooling, i recomend you stay away from overclocking because you will cause more damage.

power_lemon
03-31-2005, 10:56 PM
No
I have a mod that i am starting on a gateway 94 case and i am going to use water cooling and fans i wanted to overclock whatever i could overclock

my questions....
1)what can i overclock
2)of the things i can overclock how do i do it

Frakk
03-31-2005, 11:06 PM
you can overclock your memory, cpu, gpu and gmem. how you do it? thats when a little more info would be useful because there are different manufacturers with different methods. and i still suggest you to do your homework and read about it before and get familiar with it.
do not ever overclock until you know what you do because it wont be a happy ending. cheaper wc systems are no better than good aircooling, in fact they are more dangerous if you dont them together properly.

power_lemon
03-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Ok
My list of new parts
ATI x850 pro
Fatal1ty Motherboard
and i have a friend that has a dad that builds computers and he is going to help me put the watercooling together plus i will have fans running at the sametime.
the mobo and Gpu are the main thing i want to overclock by the way

public_eyesore
04-01-2005, 11:40 PM
what kind of processor and mobo do you have?

Frakk
04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
he said fatality mobo. therefore he has an intel processor :D

jonopaul01
04-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Trust me. Don't try overcloocking if you don't know what you are doing. I learnt the hard way. But at least that gave me an excuse to buy a new P4 and MoBo

power_lemon
04-02-2005, 11:43 AM
The Nvidia cards come with the programs to overclock it and the abit fatal1ty mobo also come with the same programs........

do i just follow those instructions

Frakk
04-02-2005, 01:03 PM
as mentioned before, do your homework and read about overclocking before you damage your new hardware. from instructions you wont know the limits and what you are doing. if it goes wrong i have a feeling someone will cry because it will viod your warranty as well.

ack ack
04-17-2005, 11:09 AM
i wouldn't use the software to oc either. most everyone says to perform your tweaks in the bios. some times using the software doesn't render accurate clock speeds, so you slow roast your ram or cpu without knowing it.

frakk is right you gotta do the reaserch. try the xtremesystem pcmech or anandtech forums for some details on suggested methods, cpu/fsb multipliers, and ram timings. check forum sigs too, since people like to show off.

the fatality a8n is AMD64 sckt 939, so if you get that, this is a good A64 oc tut:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1497607&enterthread=y

MrSlacker
04-17-2005, 11:18 AM
fatality has 2 boards, one is AMD and other is Intel. so make sure you get the right motherboard. also, learn what everything is. i dont know anything about OCing intel but with AMD, its a little tricky. read as much as you can before doing anything.

redhalo
05-09-2005, 11:06 AM
As I'm sure you can tell from everyone elses posts, you shouldn't try ocing untill you have a good understanding of computer hardware, system building, and the concept of how everything works with each other. And most of this info isn't something you can just learn overnite. A good rule of thumb is to not oc unless you feel comfortable with purchasing a whole new system in a worse case senario.

morphous_666
05-10-2005, 01:45 AM
ocing is fun, but you will always have at least one failed ocing atempt. So other words you need some money to back your ocing adventures up.
morphous_666

redhalo
05-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Just out of curiousity, what draws you to the Fatality board?

Cwrench
05-21-2005, 09:28 PM
power lemon, do your self a favor and buy this book; "Maximum PC Guide to EXTREME PC MODS" by Pual Capello And Jon phillips. It has a hole chapter on over clocking
Infact I sugest everyone buy this book lots of good information. :)

Xato
05-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Lol, how much did crimson pay you for that plug! =P lol

Either way, just to strike a little fear into you to make sure you do read up about OC'n before you dive into it.
With your CPU, there's 3 places you overclock... The FSB, the Multiplier, and the Vcore.
The FSB is the central speed of your comp, and is also involved in RAM and a few other speeds involved in your computers operation... So if you try increasing this, you will usually be increasing you Memory speed (dangerous if you dont notice it)...
The multiplier is the number of times you multiply the FSB to get your Core speed. Depending on AMD or intel, this can be from 10-20x. Some CPU's have their multiplier locked, forcing you to increase your FSB speed to OC. The problem with OC'n your chip is that at greater speeds, it needs more power to push it through... thus...
The Vcore... This is the amount of volts thats pumping into your CPU. It is what keeps your chip stable at high speeds and also what causes most of the heat in OC'n. If you increase this, without adequately cooling you chip, Your die can melt to your motherboard. Not good.
Most people will generally overclock their FSB by a couple of Mhz at a time and test with a benchmark to check for stability. This is the safest way, and this lets them know when a Vcore increase is needed, and its usually only .05 volts. (on my AMD anyway)

i suggest crawling over to www.overclockersclub.com for info on your CPU capabilities and general over clocking info. Make sure u search before posting though...

I am running a 2600+ (1.9Ghz) @ 2.3ghz
I need an upgrade so bad... Cant wait till i get some funds for my new Cryogen project... It will have Case integrated WC with peltier!

EDIT:
And yes, Bios is the place to overclock, some motherboards dont have very good overclocking abilities, but i've heard the Fatal1ty boards are good for it.

Vampire
05-22-2005, 04:36 AM
he said fatality mobo. therefore he has an intel processor :D

Um... what about the Abit AN8-F Fatal1ty board. nForce 4, SLi, socket 939 for all your athlon 64 goodness. I cant wait to see how the new Athlon 64 San Diego core socket 939's go in this awsome motherboard.

Oh yeah, and when you want to see how far your CPU can go before it hits its limits, set the FSB:Memory ratio 5:4, that way you know it wont be your ram holding you back. That is unless you have some nice frequency DDR such as PC5200 +