PDA

View Full Version : No LAN connection

Collinstheclown
09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Ok so I've spend the last few days fighting with fiberglas and everyother obsticle that comes with networking only to find out I can't even use it. Rather pissed about that.:hurt::mad:

I've been using a wireless conenction on my desktop since windows has been installed (year or so) and I've recently moved into my GF's basement. I get "verylow" and sometimes "low". I also run my 360 on my wireless.. which sucks.

I decided it was time to run a wired network, so I got some CAT6 some heads, and my trusty crimper and went to work. The router and modem are on the top floor (2 story house). I have a cable running down to the basement into a gigabit switch. From the switch is the Xbox and PC. The Xbox works just fine so at least I know my cables are correct. I ran a cable to my PC and hooked it up. I get activity LEDs on the switch and the port on the back of my PC. But going into "My Network Places" and clicking view network connections only shows my wireless. No LAN.

Does anyone here happen to know how to solve this? I've just downloaded and installed the recent drivers for my board so it's up to date.

Specs:
ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
Linksys router and switch. (all gigabit)

TIA!

-CollinstheClown

nevermind1534
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Did you try re-installing drivers? If nothing else, you can get a cheap ethernet card for $5-$10.

Collinstheclown
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah I just reinstalled them twice :/

I forgot to mention above, I'm using XP 32bit with SP3

-CollinstheClown

crenn
09-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Control Panel>Network Connections

Make sure Local Area Network is there and connected.

Collinstheclown
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Thats the same thing I meantioned above but a different way of getting there. Only shows Wireless conenction; Local Area Connection is missing.

Edit* Heres a screen shot:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/CollinstheClown/Misc/noLAN.jpg

-CollinstheClown

Collinstheclown
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Ok, it's fixed...

Stupid me had both onboard ports disabled in the BIOS. I think it was a long time ago I must've figured I'd never get rid of the wireless. Thanks for the help!

+Rep on the way.

-CollinstheClown