PDA

View Full Version : Linux users: What media player do you use?

luciusad2004
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering what media player those of you who run Linux prefer.

The only things I'm really looking for are
a) quality playback
b) Library management
c) not necessary, but streaming would be cool I suppose.

I don't really care about built in audio stores, or internet radio. I just want something w/ decent sound, library mangement and a nice interface. That however, is not to say that these features aren't appreciated, they just don't take precedence. What do you guys prefer?

Thanks

XcOM
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
well, personally i use totam, mainly because its simple to use,

but for the features you require, theres XMMS2 for all, or audiocity (Spelling) for KDE distros.

Personally i vote for XMMS 2 as its has a similer interface to Winamp, theres quite alot to choose from out there, Esprenza is good,

Load you package manager and browse through the audio section, read the description and see if it meets you needs.

But once again i would highly recommend XMMS2

Luke122
09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
What about VLC?

XcOM
09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
dosen't have a media libary, very good player for video though

aintnothang
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Isn't atunes pretty good.

XcOM
09-16-2008, 12:37 AM
can't say, never used it

luciusad2004
09-16-2008, 01:24 AM
I installed xmms2 but it didn't show up in my menus. I managed to get a song to play through the command line but it wasn't right. Whatever it played wasn't the song i tried to play. I don't even own the song it played. : / I can't figure out how to launch the program. I may give Rythmbox a shot.

Edit: It seems alot of apps are geared towards either KDE or Gnome. Would it be easier for me as a new Linux user to choose one of these two environments?

Thanks guys.

XcOM
09-16-2008, 01:25 AM
you need a front end for xmms, espranza does that, rythembox isnt half bad

mtekk
09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Audacity is a sound editor, not really a player though you could use it as one I guess. ;)

I use audacious as it is well supported by modern distros (XMMS is well, not on portage anymore), it's more of a GTK/Gnome application. If you want something like itunes, but much better you may find Amarok useful in a KDE desktop environment (it's part of the KDE project).

XcOM
09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
thank you mtekk,
i ment to say audacious, i couldn't rem the exact name, i use that on linux

progbuddy
09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I use Amarok. It's pretty quick and generally supported by many different versions of linux.

XcOM
09-17-2008, 01:31 AM
so long as you use kde for your interface, you can fudge it to run on gnome, but not recommended.

luciusad2004
09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Do you know were i can get Esprenza, It didn't show up in my package manager and google is bringing up wierd stuff. I was interested in trying xmms2 since i actually liked winamp when i used windows.

I tried auacious a couple nites back and it was a little funky. I don't know if this is normal but everything was super small, and i had some trouble with it.

xmastree
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Rhythmbox is pretty good, and you can get a bunch of desklets to control it. Not sure about KDE though.

I used to use Beep but it seems they've ruined that now.

luciusad2004
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, I have esperanza downloaded. I have the .tar.gz. How do i now take that and make it a usuable program. The site i got it from just said to configure and then make it, but i don't really know what that means, or how to do it. Any help?

Thanks

Also, Can i install multiple clients for xmms2? It would be cool to try a bunch of them out and see what i like.

Edit: I found configure, it was a program in the extracted file
It requires QT4 though. Wouldn't that be something found in the KDE environment? Am i correct in assuming QT = KDE and GTK = gnome or xfce?

xmastree
09-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Sigh...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/Clipboard-1.jpg

Well I think they did. Is it wrong to have an opinion these days?

luciusad2004
09-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Sigh...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/Clipboard-1.jpg

Well I think they did. Is it wrong to have an opinion these days?

I can't believe you got Neg repped for that. : (

XcOM
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
thats sad, it was an opinion, not an assult on anyone, or ment to cause offence,

wouldn't suppurise if i get neg repped for this comment now.