PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont start after power outage.

noopypoop
09-19-2008, 05:27 PM
If you live in the NE you were probably effected by the small hurricane we had llast week. My uncle( who is a techie) had his custom built pc on when lightning struck( and he never bought a surge protector) so of course the next day when he tried to turn it on, it didn't work.The fans spun for a second and died down. He suspected it was the CPU and sent it back to Newegg. He got his new CPU however he got an email from Newegg saying that the CPU he sent back was totally fine. He plugged the cpu back into the system and it wouldnt work. After that, he bought COMPLETELY NEW hardware(all of it was the same stuff besides the mobo) The only thing he didn't buy is a new case. So he turned it on, and again failed to boot. however he took out the CPU and the computer turned on. He brought his computer to Microcenter and the guy gave the diagnosis that he couldn't figure out what was happening. He said that it's on for such a short time that there's no way anything could overheat(so we know heat isn't a problem)

So anyone know what the problem is? I don't know his system specs yet, he's currently in Barnes and Noble looking at any book that could help his problem.

nevermind1534
09-19-2008, 05:39 PM
He replaced the motherboard, PSU, and RAM? Could it have shorted out somewhere?

noopypoop
09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
He replaced the motherboard, PSU, and RAM? Could it have shorted out somewhere?

He replaced all the internal hardware.

nevermind1534
09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
If everything inside was replaced, it would have to be
1) Bad luck
2) Bad cords
3) bad outlet
4) blown fuse, or tripped circuit

It probably wouldn't be the last two since it wouldn't work at mcrocenter. Is the voltage switch on the back of the PSU flipped to 120V?

gamer_from_aust
09-20-2008, 04:07 AM
you know i had the exact problem took it to one pc shop said they replaced everything in the pc worth replaceing,this was a warranty job. but took it home then took it to the other pc shop in town first thing they did was put a new psu in and it worked it was quite funny when we told the other pc shop it worked, and all they said was goodluck didnt even bother to pay for the cost to get it fixed

nevermind1534
09-20-2008, 10:51 AM
But he's saying that everything, including the PSU was replaced, but I agree with you, if it's something after a power surge, it's probably going to be the PSU, and possibly other components that it damaged by sending a surge.

Luke122
09-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Did he replace the power cord? I know many of my customers bring their power cord with their computer when they need repairs.. I have no idea why. I always say, "Just bring the tower! No cords!" and they still bring the power cord.

So yeah.. could the cord be toast? Maybe he took the cord in with the PC?

Does the hardware post outside the case?

Mitternacht
09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I've been having problems myself. Mine turns on, but does nothing else. When you press or hold the power button in, it doesn't power off. Gotta switch the psu off in order to power off the computer. I might need another K9A2 Platinum.

noopypoop
09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
He fixed it! It turns out that when he was plugging in the power supply wires, the wire that supplied power to the CPU had somehow got a little cut in it, which cut off power to the CPU explaining why it only wouldnt work with the CPU in it.