PDA

View Full Version : question about linux

Liquid_Scope_99
09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Hello all i have a few friends that just wont buy knew computers lol.

Well they asked since that 98 and mi is not supported and there mostly like 350mgz processors and 128 ram.
What version of linux whould be good for a comp like that thanks in advance

luciusad2004
09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm no expert but from what I've head, Gentoo and Arch both run pretty well on lower end hardware. You could probably pair one of those distributions w/ a lightweight window manager like, fluxbox. But like I said, I'm not expert, lets see what the real experts say in a few posts.

aintnothang
09-20-2008, 12:49 AM
DamnSmallLinux!

Liquid_Scope_99
09-20-2008, 02:40 AM
hey thanks guys is this where i ge it jsut checking lol www.damnsmalllinux.org thanks again hopefully i can learn it price is right though

xmastree
09-20-2008, 06:06 AM
I found puppy linux slightly better than dsl.

http://www.puppylinux.org/

XcOM
09-20-2008, 01:53 PM
any distro would do really, not select one with the least ammount of bloat, xubuntu is good for lower end machines with good hardware support,

fedora is quote good but you really need to fight to install any thiung thats no open

Liquid_Scope_99
09-20-2008, 11:33 PM
thanks guys may try couple diffrent ones hopefully that is semi easy lol thanks again

Xpirate
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I agree with XcOM. Xubuntu is good for low end machines. I used Red Hat 6.2 on some really, really old hardware (Pentium 133 with 32 MB) and it worked just fine. I'm not sure if you can still find pre-Fedora Red Hat 6.2 on the web anymore.

XcOM
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
i have them on CD, fedora core 2!

Liquid_Scope_99
09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
thanks all i downloaded dsl and burnt it to cd when i moved it over it said that warning abour some files attached may no work if you continue move but i made cd and it dosent do anything when i try to get it to boot better read some more about making it a bootable cd thanks again for the help all any comments welcome

nevermind1534
09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Did you use a program, such as nero burning rom, to coy the files from the .ISO file to the CD? If you did, it should work.

Liquid_Scope_99
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
hello thanks nevermind1534 no ididnt i just made a normal cd but i will try that +rep also +rep that are tring to guide a new one to linux thanks again guys

nevermind1534
09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
What program were you using, and where did you get the iso file from? I tried it yesterday in VMWare, and it worked fine.

XcOM
09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
download something like isoburn (Free for XP/Vista), install it and just double click on the ISO for DSL, it will ask what drive to burn to and what speed, click go,

It does the rest for you.

aintnothang
09-23-2008, 12:02 AM
isoburn is pretty awesome.

xmastree
09-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Making a bootable linux CD (http://www.cginternet.net/ubuntu/burn/)

Cymae
09-23-2008, 02:32 AM
As a side note, perhaps you might like to try an older distro of Ubuntu or something. it's better for non-expert users...

XcOM
09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
i would say earlier ubuntus are better for older hardware as they require less oomph to run, but have a harder learning curve, newer ubuntus generaly have become more automated, a bit more like windows so to speak.

Cymae
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
or see if you can dig up an old LindowsOS distro :D

Liquid_Scope_99
09-23-2008, 11:45 PM
hello all i got DamnSmallLinux! to boot and run but when i rebooted it want work anymore got the iso cd made correctly thanks guys .trie dto use Xubuntu to boot showed a flash screen like the loading windows screen then went to blank screen woth mouse cursor thanks guy i wll try to keep at it tommorrrow lol work tommorrow

XcOM
09-24-2008, 12:04 AM
or see if you can dig up an old LindowsOS distro :D

i think i have one of them in my cd wallet

PartyLikeARockstar
10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Vector Linux is good too, I am surprised to not see it mentioned.

Liquid_Scope_99
10-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I got DSL to work but not Xubuntu i couldnt get it to work but havent had the chance to work with it latley

XcOM
10-11-2008, 03:57 AM
sometimes if your installing on limikted hardware you will need what is normally called a alternitive install cd, this isn't a live cd but will install using a very light installer, usualy annaconda

Liquid_Scope_99
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
hey thanks XcOM +rep

Omega
10-19-2008, 10:58 PM
i would say earlier ubuntus are better for older hardware as they require less oomph to run, but have a harder learning curve, newer ubuntus generaly have become more automated, a bit more like windows so to speak.

I can attest to this. I'm running Kubuntu Hardy (soon to be on KDE4.1.2, too) on my laptop and if my wireless card wasn't such a strange make/model it would have been completely brainless.

XcOM
10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
generally i find it easier to install NDIS wrapper and install windows drivers than try to install linux versions

Omega
10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
generally i find it easier to install NDIS wrapper and install windows drivers than try to install linux versions

for sure

(unlock/add all repositories you will need first)
First find out what kind of chipset you have by doing

lspci

then install the driver, assuming you don't need to blacklist a non-working driver (like I had to with my Marvell mrv8k chip)
Then you wanna do this:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (or whatever the utilities one is)
sudo apt-get install wicd
mkdir drivers
cd drivers
wget [driver location]
(untar only if it's a tarball... which it probably is)
tar -xvf [tarball name]
sudo ndiswrapper -i [driver.inf]
sudo ndiswrapper -m
cd ..
rm -rf ./drivers

What that does is it installs NDISwrapper, a util for installing windows wifi drivers, then you get the utils, meaning you can use ndiswrapper now, then it installs wicd, a good wifi/network manager program, mkdir drivers creates the folder /drivers under your home folder (which you operate under), wget is web get and will download a .zip or .tar file with the drivers in it, tar -xvf [tarball name] untar's or unzips your .tar or .zip, sudo ndiswrapper -i [driver.inf] installs the desired driver file as an administrator, sudo ndiswrapper -m rebuilds something or another to make it work, cd .. changes you back to your home directory and rm -rf ./driver deletes the folder /driver and all in it.

To check if your ndiswrapper install worked, type
sudo ndiswrapper -l and it should show installed drivers and "device present"

XcOM
10-25-2008, 12:04 PM
or if your using ubuntu just find ndiswrapper and common in synaptic package manager and it does it all for you and adds a new menu entry to load windows drivers, even with fedora is easy as hell, load the RPM data and the same applies

Omega
10-25-2008, 06:24 PM
or if your using ubuntu just find ndiswrapper and common in synaptic package manager and it does it all for you and adds a new menu entry to load windows drivers, even with fedora is easy as hell, load the RPM data and the same applies

if you really want to you could just throw in a sudo apt-get install ndisgtk to the list of commands I wrote up, like so:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
sudo apt-get install ndisgtk
wget [driver location]
tar -xvf [tarball name]
sudo ndisgtk

then ndisgtk will pop up (graphical interface for ndiswrapper) and you tell it where the driver.inf file is, and it installs it.

i know the command line might be scary for some but it's a hell of a lot easier to sudo apt-get install things if you know what you want than it is to go into Adept or whatever your distro's package manager is. goes by so much quicker.

You also don't have to sudo before each command if you don't want to, only the first one, and you should stay logged in as sudo for 10 minutes on ubuntu distros. I sudo for each command only out of habit (older distros I used either required that you su root first or sudo before everything)

XcOM
10-26-2008, 03:58 PM
terminal is your friend