PDA

View Full Version : Basic mod for my first attempt

adreamtraveler
11-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone, I wanted to post my first case mod and get some feedback, good or bad lol. It is pretty simple compared to what most of you are doing but i want to really get into it for the next 2 machines that i will be building hopefully first of next year. it's a stock case with a window and the only cutouts are one for a fan on the top and one for an LED switch on the side just above the window that i did by hand with metal nibblers (i have no power tools :( ) other than that it's pretty basic UV lighting and sleeving, but i had fun with it and can't wait to start another project!

http://www.adreamtraveler.net/casemods/faye/faye_photoAlbum/images/lyt_fullSys.jpg
http://www.adreamtraveler.net/casemods/faye/faye_photoAlbum/images/lyt_dragonClose.jpg
http://www.adreamtraveler.net/casemods/faye/faye_photoAlbum/images/nyt_UVoff.jpg
http://www.adreamtraveler.net/casemods/faye/faye_photoAlbum/images/nyt_UVon.jpg
http://www.adreamtraveler.net/casemods/faye/faye_photoAlbum/images/nyt_UVopen2.jpg

public_eyesore
11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
looks good, maybe painting it would make it look polished off, but you definatly need CABLE MANAGEMENT!!!

adreamtraveler
11-27-2005, 10:41 PM
you definatly need CABLE MANAGEMENT!!!

lol this is true, i have learned from many people since the finish of this build that there is a lot more to cable management than just sleeving the wires :p i'm pouring myself over all of the great paint tips and tutorials as well cause i think that is were i want to really pick up next. i want to get into more metal work but i have very little tools and they are mostly hand powered so paint seems like a better step for me to take next. thanks for the input!

wingman358
11-28-2005, 12:06 AM
I think I have that exact same case, but in black. Anyways, that looks really cool, especially with the blue light up top and the red below (inside the case). I think that you do need cable management, but not necessarily cable hiding. I think if you just organized them, they could be a cool feature of your case. Perhaps you could hide some of them and leave some out. Maybe you could just group cables that are going to similar locations in wire sleeving. Or a combination of both...

Also, what do you get for temps with that blow hole? I'm considering adding one since my case gets pretty hot.

adreamtraveler
11-28-2005, 01:45 AM
yea the case does get pretty hot, stock i was getting an average idle box temp of about 32C. with the exhaust at the top now that is down to about 29 on average. with the 2 UV cathodes and everything there was a lot of hot air getting trapped at the top of this case so adding the exhaust helped get it out. CPU temp didn't really change that much (about a degree down to 49C). so i think that it helped for this case, but i will be the first to admit that i don't know much about it yet ;)

sega01
12-15-2005, 07:56 PM
awesome first mod, i love the case window. great job at cutting it, i would of thought it was done with a dremel or somthing. the cables are fairly messy, but keep up the good work!

Nawl
12-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Its looks very stylish but as said before it needs cable management...
BUT IM A N00B IM COMPUTER MODDING SO I SHOULD NOT SAY ANYTHING!
I CAN BARELY SPELL "MOD" FFS !!

Malatory
12-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Its looks very stylish but as said before it needs cable management...

You know your cable management is bad when someone that says they are a noob points it out. ;)

Cable managment is typically hiding the cables so people can not see them. If there is not a way to hide them, then its sleaving and making them take the least noticable path.

EDIT: oh yeah another thing you will want to think about .. get all of your case colors to match. Black CD-rom and Silver / Beige case -- is not art deco

thephreak99
12-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Realy nice!

Love the front and the fan at the bottom!

(As said before, cable management) But all over a nice, clean and simple mod. Not overmodded like alot og first modders do.

What kinda case is it?

adreamtraveler
12-23-2005, 07:21 PM
You know your cable management is bad when someone that says they are a noob points it out. ;)

haha seriously...yea i have learned so much since joining the boards here...right now i just finished up college and am working to find employment...after the holidays i'm going to take everything that i have learned here about cable management and crack this case back open and get all those rebel cables back in line lol ;)

adreamtraveler
12-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Realy nice!

Love the front and the fan at the bottom!

(As said before, cable management) But all over a nice, clean and simple mod. Not overmodded like alot og first modders do.

What kinda case is it?

it's an Enermax but i don't know the model number off the top of my head :p it's not the best case in the world but it's the one that my girlfriend like the most (since i was building it for her).

Nawl
12-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Actually i just found out i like that color :=)

Nawl