PDA

View Full Version : Bigpond Wireless modem probs

gamer_from_aust
09-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Well it has been a long wait for my wireless router to arrive so I can finnally have wireless access in my home. I recieved the router today and ripped open the box in such suprise and went to connect it to my modem when i realised somthing. Where do I plug it into my modem?

You see my modem isn't the average modem + Ethernet cable which connects to the PC, it uses a usb cable and it has no LAN port on the modem. Somes details on the modem, It's a Bigpond NextG Wireless Broadband Modem.

I have tried sharing the connection and other tactics but to no avail. The router i bought is a TP-Link TL-WR642G.

If anyone has a solution to my problem please post here. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

nevermind1534
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Get a new modem. There are some free programs that allow you to create a proxy on your home network to share an internet connection. If you google "free proxy software xp," (without tht quotes) you should get something.

gamer_from_aust
09-30-2008, 02:45 AM
OK so to get a new modem that allows us to make it wireless is going to cost $300!. so i was wondering if theres a way to turn a usb cord into a lan cord.

nevermind1534
09-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Did you try the second option with the proxy on your LAN? Also, if you don't want to do that, getting just a new modem couldn't be too expensive; I could get a somewhat decent one with an ethernet cord from newegg for $40 USD.

crenn
10-08-2008, 08:52 PM
If you're using windows, might want to look into ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). To be honest.... why are you using NextG? That's going to be very very costly.

gamer_from_aust
10-09-2008, 03:34 AM
I'm using it because i live out of town on a 600 acre property can we can only get dial up, statelite, or wireless next g. which sucks because we pay $130 for 10gb.

crenn
10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I guess it's something, but yeah, look at internet connection sharing.