PDA

View Full Version : i think i just downloaded a virus!!!!!!!!

B1Gtime
09-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I think i just downloaded a virus and my computer went crazy, pop ups popped up,anti virus things popped up, task bar is screwed up, says virus alert in taskbar. Im alittle neverous right now, because this would be my first virus, what is the besyt way to get rid of it? Im going to be so dead.

Should i do this method to reformat: or what should i do?

Norton Ghost™ is available on Dell™ Dimension™ and Inspiron™ systems that shipped on or after Oct. 18, 2005 in the Americasand 18 Feb. 2006 in Europe. If your system does not have Norton Ghost available, please refer to: "How to Reinstall Microsoft® Windows®, Drivers, and Software on a Dell™ Computer" Article ID: 295204 for installation instructions.

1. Verify the modem or network cable is detached from the computer.

2. Start the computer.

3. When the Dell splash screen appears during startup, press <Ctrl> + <F11> and release them at the same time.

Note:
Press the key combination only once. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs. Restart the computer and repeat the steps above.

4. Click Accept when the Symantec|Dell Recovery Environment End User License Agreement screen appears. The Symantec Recovery Disk window appears displaying two options:

* Recover My Computer - Restores your computer to a backup point:
1. Click Recover My Computer.

2. When the Select Recovery Point window appears, click to select the recovery point from which you want to restore, and click Recover My Computer.

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

* Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration - Restore your computer to its original Dell configuration:

1. Click Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration. The Recover My Computer Wizard window appears.

5. Click Yes and press <Enter>.

6. Click Yes when the Recover My Computer Wizard dialog box appears, and press <Enter>.

The Ghost32 window appears, and the restore process begins, which takes approximately 8 to 10 minutes to complete. When complete, the computer restarts.

EDIT: IM on my sisters pc)

xRyokenx
09-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I would first try what Dell says to do and if that does not work, then reformat. Just make sure you have access to all the drivers and such before reformatting, whether they are online, on a CD, whatever.

B1Gtime
09-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I had to reformat anyway, so i guess it will be the best time now..
For the drivers, i have my network driver on a flash drive so ill just download that after its reformatted then ill go to dell.com and get the dirvers since ill have internet. Now, should i reformat with the steps i provided in my 1st post? Someone told me those steps off the dell forums, when i asked what was the best way to reformat.

oh and do i really have to disconnect the hard drive, and other perhinals/except keyboard and mouse, when i reformat?

Bopher
09-28-2008, 10:39 AM
It sometimes makes it easier to install drivers and such 1 at a time instead of having the new windows install try to install 6 things at once. When I reformat I usually keep everything installed but thats probably because I'm lazy.

If Dell says disconnect the hard drive someone down there needs another high school computer course because you can't format if its not connected.:)

I think they are thinking along those lines for hardware related formats, that way you can place 1 item at a time back into your system and when the system goes crazy then you know what piece of hardware is messing everything up.

Couch3ater
09-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Disconnecting the hard drive would defeat the purpose of reformatting. That is, after all, what you're reformatting. It's fine to leave all your periphs plugged in. Nothing negative should come of it. Good luck reformatting if it's your first time. Should go without a hitch, just follow the prompts you get while you're reformatting.

B1Gtime
09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I have Media Center 2005.

http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Im going to use these steps^, or is there any others i should do? i cant do the steps that were in my first post.

im in TBCS Chat if anyone wanted to talk on there instead.

Couch3ater
09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Those look like the correct steps. As long as you're aware you'll be losing all your data, then there's really no surprises to reformatting. It's pretty straight forward, just do as the computer prompts. But for all intensive purposes, yes, those steps are just fine. Good luck B1G.

B1Gtime
09-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Disc will not boot, how do i make it boot, Bopher said changing something in bios(nvr been in bios)

I cant even go to my computer and click on the disc, everything dissapeared.........

i got these dam icons on my pc that didnt even realte to were i think i got the virus(some icons are bad:neutral:) have a feeling my dad is going to kill me but hes in flordia, which im hoping i can get this fixed before monday night..

Thanks for the people who helped, i just need a few more answers.

xRyokenx
09-28-2008, 11:42 AM
When you go into the BIOS, look through the menus to set your Main/Primary Boot Device to your CD/DVD Drive. After you reinstall Windows and everything, go ahead and change it back to your HDD.

B1Gtime
09-28-2008, 01:31 PM
one thing, how do u get into the bios?

xRyokenx
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Right when you turn the computer on it will usually tell you to press Delete, F8, or something like that to enter the BIOS.

Bopher
09-28-2008, 08:20 PM
B1g, if you haven't been able to get in on Dells usually it is del or F2 to get in. Watch the Boot screen when you turn on your computer where it says DELL in big letters and a load bar, check the right hand top corner for 2 options, setup and boot options. you need setup. If you got it already disregard.

B1Gtime
09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Srry for late response, ya i found out it was F2, my cuzin was on aim so he helped me out after u left bopher.

Thx a lot everyone, my computer was successfully formatted and no more virus.

+rep for the help guys, couldn't of done it with you.

XcOM
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
thats what were all here for dude,

good luck in the future

Couch3ater
09-30-2008, 01:38 PM
No prob man. Hope things go more smoothly for you in the future. XD