PDA

View Full Version : Upside down mobo?

notquitedead
11-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi...

Yesterday I ordered a Cooler Master Cavalier 3 from newegg.com (was on sale, and after the rebate it will be just $35) but I read that opterons run hotter than athlon 64s. I had already planned to cut a hole in the top of the case and add a fan. Now I'm wondering about something a little more extreme.

Would it be possible to remove the back of the case, rotate it 180 degrees, and then mount the motherboard on the "wrong" side of the case, upside down? That way the heat from the video card could go straight up and out of the top fan. The cpu would also be on the bottom, which would open up the possibility of a p180-like lower chamber for the psu and hdd.

Is it possible? I haven't ever done anything with metal but I know someone who works with metal and fixes machines for a living so I could get all the help I would need.

Edit: Even if I can't do the whole upside-down mobo thing, I'm still adding a fan to the top. Would I be better off with a 92mm or 120mm fan? Can anyone recommend a cheapish one with good airflow that's not too loud?

Thanks.

wingman358
11-28-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean about rotating the motherboard, but it sounds pretty simple. I'm sure whatever you're trying to do is possible. Anyways, here's a pretty cheap 120mm fan from Newegg: Rosewill RFA120-K 120mm (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835200005)

notquitedead
11-28-2005, 11:13 PM
I mean turning the back of the case (the part that all the ports from the mobo stick out of) upside down, and then mounting the mobo on the left side of the case (when looking at it from the front), also upside down. The video card would be facing up and the psu would be on the bottom.

Thanks for the help.

Ali_2k
11-29-2005, 04:49 AM
yeh, it should work, my brother did that with his old pc, it looked really cool with the graphics and such upwards :p the only trouble he ran into was getting the mobo on to the other panel, with all the spacers and such, and the pci slots on the back did look like a complete bodge job, but bearing in mind he finished it in about a week, he rushed quick, so if u spend time and work aout any problems you may face befor you do it, it should turn out a kick ass case!! :p

adreamtraveler
11-29-2005, 05:16 AM
yea it should totally work. many lian-li case are set up this way with the mobo "upside down" (compared to conventional mounting) and with the PSU in the bottom of the case. Lian-Li Example (http://lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_V_C_PC-V1000.htm)

notquitedead
11-29-2005, 05:50 PM
yeh, it should work, my brother did that with his old pc, it looked really cool with the graphics and such upwards the only trouble he ran into was getting the mobo on to the other panel, with all the spacers and such, and the pci slots on the back did look like a complete bodge job, but bearing in mind he finished it in about a week, he rushed quick, so if u spend time and work aout any problems you may face befor you do it, it should turn out a kick ass case!!
lol I'll probably do a crappy job.:p Hopefully it will turn out fine. The psu I'm planning on getting has a 120mm fan on top of it, so since it will be in the bottom I might turn it upside down and cut a hole for the fan, but of course I would have to put small stilts on the bottom of the case.