PDA

View Full Version : Freezes before I can Do Anything

TheGreatSatan
10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I've had this happen several times. I start up someone's computer (even in safe modfe) and it freezes right away. If it gave a minute or two I'd go into msconfig and the taskmgr and start shutting things off, but it doesn't. Is there another way/program that forces a boot without all the crap being loaded up?

FuzzyPlushroom
10-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm assuming you've tried booting off a Linux LiveCD or some such, to make sure it's a Windows problem? If you haven't, it's worth a shot - could rule out a dying PSU or overheating issue.

Aside from that, I'd start it in Safe Mode/VGA, as that enabled me to work around a video card that was slowly dying... or perhaps try it with Boot Logging and see what it comes up with.

Description of the different Safe Mode options (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222)

I might well be telling you things you've already tried and/or already know, but it's worth a shot.

TheGreatSatan
10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
What does WinPE do? I heard about that before. Does it apply?

XcOM
10-03-2008, 02:59 PM
winpe is windows pre install enviroment,

you might want to try BartPE, that creates a live version of windows xp on CD, i would try loading a live cd of some description to check if its a windows issue or a hardware issue.

TheGreatSatan
10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Usually it's safe to assume it's a Windows issue, since it freezes at the desktop. Hardware would probably prevent it from booting at all.

FuzzyPlushroom
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Not if it's a heat issue - in which case it would occur more quickly after it's rebooted, and also happen if you boot from a LiveCD.

nevermind1534
10-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I've found bad RAM to cause heat issues. A bad PSU can even prevent windows from installing, even though the computer can boot up. A bad PSU can cause the computer freeze.