PDA

View Full Version : Building a Media Center, need some info

nailz
10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey guys. I'm sure this topic has come up numerous times, but I did do a quick search with no prevail. Bills are running too high for my liking, and with the internet being awesome and having virtually all of my favorite shows online now, and with the knowledge that I can pick up HD channels over the air for free, I think it's time I made the grandose leap and dump cable (NOT THE MODEM, DEAR GOD, NOT THE MODEM).

I'm good with the building a media focused computer part, but I'm just curious what you folks use as a TV-in card, specifically, I'm looking for one with a built in HD/digital antenna that will pick up all of my HD (and digital) channels. I'd prefer something made by ATI.

Since I'm not overly versed in how the new digi-antenna will work, I imagine it'd come right over my cable line, or will it be something of an entirely different hook up, like rabbit ears? Would the card pick up the signal and pump it into the included software? It's been a long time since I've used TV-in.

Also, while I know searching google will come up with a ton of software programs, I wanted to get your opinion on which "DVR" software runs best, with a built in tv-guide?

Tips, tricks, tutorials either typed or linked would be amazingly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Luke122
10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Check out the Citrus G5 project..

nevermind1534
10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
You'll be using the old rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna if you want to be picking up the free airwaves. It would help to get an amp, or an antenna with a built-in amp. Make sure that you get a DIGITAL TV tuner card, or you won't get anything hd, and nothing at all after February. If you look at the specs on newegg, they will tell you if it's digital.

Crazy Buddhist
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Avermedia all the way. Their systems are great. Work flawlessly. Offer hybrid analogue/digital HD and some even have fm radio functions.

I have had two Avermedia cards one WinTV Nova-Stick USB TV Tuner (worked crapola under winXP flawless under MrVista and Ubuntu) and a KWorld PCI TV Tuner which is just .... horrible, flawed, buggy and, again, crapola.

Buy Avermedia if you want a great TV card for a multimedia centre. You can't go wrong. Just pick the one of their many offerings that suits your needs.

Also go for PCI or PCI-E and not a USB tuner.

I'd also recommend planning to integrate a Soundgraph iMon Ultrabay into any multimedia PC. Fantastic product and puts everything intuitively at your fingertips. It will control your TV card and music, the lot. Edit: This may be overkill if you go for a Vista edition with Windows Media Centre. The Avermedia remote will do it for you. Needs looking into. 2nd EDIT probably overkill MrVista Home Premium and an Avermedia card will be great.

Avermedia product line up (http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/product/)

Google Shopping for Avermedia (http://www.google.com/products?q=avermedia+TV&btnG=Search&hl=en&show=dd)

3rd EDIT (and last lol) I'd suggest one of these two from the PCI lines:

AVerTV Hybrid Super 007
AVerTV Hybrid+FM PCI

Or one of these from the PCI-E lines:

AVerTV Hybrid Speedy PCI-E
AVerTV Duo Hybrid PCI-E II
AVerTV Duo Hybrid PCI-E

Best wishes with your build nailz.

CrazyB

ps (iSorry Jon iKnow you hate this trend :D)

XcOM
10-08-2008, 04:54 PM
good recommendation cb, i was going to recommend them, i use avermedia when i had my tv tuner.

nevermind1534
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Happague isn't bad, either.