PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw

DaveW
11-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Thinking of getting a Scroll Saw to help me with my Modding Projects. But i need to know if there's anything i should look out for-most of the ones i've seen are designed for cutting wood, would they cut metal too? Would i better off getting one of those powered nibblers for cutting designs and so forth in sheet metal? Or is the Scroll Saw the way to go? Would i be better off just getting hand nibblers instead of worrying about all this expensive crap? Thanks in advance.

-Dave

public_eyesore
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
i think the only difference is in the blades, but im not entirly sure

Rankenphile
11-30-2005, 03:35 PM
I jsut got a scroll saw, and I love it. I picked up an adjustable speed Ryobi for around $100.

Make sure if you get one that it features adjustable speed and easily changeable blades that are of a standard style - I know a few models out there use their own blades, instead of standard ones, which makes getting replacements that much harder.

crazybillybob
11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Make sure if you get one that it features adjustable speed and easily changeable blades that are of a standard style - I know a few models out there use their own blades, instead of standard ones, which makes getting replacements that much harder.

Scroll saws have 2 blade type. With pins and with out pins. The best type to get is one that will allow you to use both. With a scroll saw I'm not sure your nibblers will get much use, as it's way easier to cut with. The only thing is you don't want to try cutting very heavy steel with the scroll saw It heats up the blades very quickly and they break or dull fast. But it works great on non-ferrous metals (aluminum, brass, copper, bronze) , wood and all types of plastics. Also the one with the foot controls allow you to very the speed while using both hands to guide your work (a must for very tight turns or intricate designs!)

Good luck
Crazybillybob

DaveW
12-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys, have seen a cheap pair of hand nibblers and bid on them. If i don't win, i'll see about getting a scroll saw, probably much more useful in the long run. Thanks -Dave

garrett2408
12-28-2005, 02:34 AM
i work at sears and they always have good deals on that stuff, i sell the tools actually.
check out clearance items, they have one at my store for 60 dollars.
the shop protection agreement if applicable is well worth it too, as is the replacement agreement.

might get one myself when i get some money, though i got my eye on a bandsaw.

realised you are in the UK, rats no good to you then :(

Malatory
12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Hand tools are good for small amount of work. If you plan to cut a design with the hand nibblers. your going to need some good gloves and blister band aids.

Scroll saw is very good for detailed cutting and also nice that you can drill a pilot hole and start cutting from there.

garrett2408: I have a sears 12" band saw (old model) but right now I could not do half my work with out it.

DickNervous
12-29-2005, 12:39 AM
more power!!!! power tools ftw.

I need a scroll saw.. but have no space. :(

Asuran
01-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Then handtools may be a good solution. As soon as I get my next case I'm going out to buy a jewlers coping saw. Its not more than a little hand saw, but the blades are made to cut through thicker sheet metal and has the ability to do fine details.

Malatory
01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Then handtools may be a good solution. As soon as I get my next case I'm going out to buy a jewlers coping saw. Its not more than a little hand saw, but the blades are made to cut through thicker sheet metal and has the ability to do fine details.

Yes they are .. but time wise. Power tools will cut it like butter, where the hand tools are more like using a butter knife to cut a over cooked steak. (Do able a pain).

garrett2408
01-06-2006, 12:47 PM
the deal at sears are crazy if you keep an eye out, they had at my store a drill press for 16 dollars on clearance, it wasn't exceptional but its still a sweet drill press