PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard stikes again....

BerticusPryme
10-14-2008, 01:02 AM
I was readin up on some games and such today and came across a article that infuriated me a little more than the force unleashed not being released on pc. This one is far more heinous imo. We all ahve waited for Starcraft 2 for how long?? Read the article and post what you think about this.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/10/starcraft-2-to-be-released-as-a-trilogy/

Zephik
10-14-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm sorry, what is everyone complaining about? I seem to be a bit slow today so I'm having a difficult time trying to understand all the commotion...

Omega
10-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Probably complaining that it would be $150 total or thereabouts.

I have a feeling that if they're splitting it across three seperate discs, then the campaign for each will be long enough to justify the price.

Also, if you don't like a certain faction... don't buy the disc. I'll probably only get the Terran disc, MAYBE Protoss.

Blizzard is quality, though. If they sell it as three different games, it'll have at least three times the play length than it would otherwise.

BerticusPryme
10-14-2008, 01:31 AM
True the play length may or may not be there but to me this is wrong. Maybe i grew up around games that had many options for play like th original starcraft. To me this is them trying to make up for losses that are begining to show in WoW. Imo they are pulling some bogus stuff saying something is going to change and then coming back after everyone revolts about it on the forums. Give it time blizzard will scrap it or let the forum trolls on their website whine till something is done about it. To me it's just them trying to squeeze more money out of the gaming community. I agree Omega. I would prolly buy the Terran disc also. They were great for stopping the zergling rush. The thing that gets me is if you want them all you are going to be looking at well over $100 to get all 3. Maybe it's just me ranting.

d_stilgar
10-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Well, we don't have any details at this point. My guess is that one or two of the Story Modes are done, but the third's is not. This could be a way to finally ship a game that people have been talking about for nearly 10 years, and not delay it again. I'm sure that you will have all three factions to play in multiplayer as well, even if you only buy one of the story modes. Also, no price has been announced. It could be that they release them at reasonable prices ($20-25), one a year for three years, like I said, because they just aren't done with it all yet.

My big worry is that by the time it actually comes out it will look completely last-gen. That's what happened to the promising game, Advent Rising. It was good, but not great, and the fact that is was dated before it even came out sealed its doom.

Killa_Ape
10-14-2008, 01:57 AM
They said Terran is the closest to being finished, while Zerg and Protoss are still on paper, so they havn't even started them. Yeah 95% of people are going to buy Terran b/c it'll be the first one out and they dont' want to lag behind everybody else. So if you want to get in the beginning you got to buy Terran and if you wanted to wait for Zerg or Protoss, Zerg is probably 2 years+ away from SC 2 release. And Protoss a year or two after that, AT BEST I guess.

This just seems like a cash grab to me, give me the whole story don't give me multi-choiced missions, it's all going to work out the same in the end anyways. If I buy a game I want the whole thing not 1/3 of it. And I'm sure they'll add units in the other "chapters/episodes/whatever" causing people to buy the new ones or they are going to have to work something else out for multiplayer units. I highly doubt I'll be buying SC 2 now b/c of this, I want a complete game/experience damn it. Sure I maybe asking for a lot but I don't want to play 100 missions either to hear the whole story.

Zephik
10-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Probably complaining that it would be $150 total or thereabouts.

I have a feeling that if they're splitting it across three seperate discs, then the campaign for each will be long enough to justify the price.

Also, if you don't like a certain faction... don't buy the disc. I'll probably only get the Terran disc, MAYBE Protoss.

Blizzard is quality, though. If they sell it as three different games, it'll have at least three times the play length than it would otherwise.

That pretty much sums up my feelings and thoughts exactly.

crenn
10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
I see Blizzard is milking the cash cow again. And knowing Blizzard, they'll make it so you get the base game... then for the Zerg, you'll need the base game.... and for the Protoss, you need the base game and the Zerg expansion pack. And then there will probably be a subscription fee on top of that.

OH WAIT!
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/11/blizzards-wilson-some-battle-net-features-to-be-monetized/
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/blizzcon-2008-rob-pardo-talks-battle-net-monetizing/

Zephik
10-15-2008, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't mind paying some kind of monthly fee, so long as I get my money's worth.

But to be honest, I really don't want to have to pay $14.95 every month. It really isn't a lot, but I don't know, it would just be really nice to not have to do that again. I wouldn't really mind paying $9.95 or lower though.

It would be cool if they charged only the amount you cost them to have your account on their servers. I'd imagine that wouldn't be very much?

simon275
10-17-2008, 06:39 AM
If each is a full length game then cool. If not :(

NightrainSrt4
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
If they are full length then that is great. Plus you get the game years before you would have (according the to time frame theorized above).

The original is still going strong in many areas, but players want the new one soon. I think many would rather have 3 campaigns and get to play one sooner then waiting years for the whole thing, but idk.

Sometimes it seems like people like to get frustrated about anything, when in the end they are getting a game that should be pretty decent no matter which way it gets released. There's no official word on length or price yet that I've seen, so I don't understand the fuss.

Zephik
10-17-2008, 04:57 PM
I think it just mainly has to do with Starcraft holding so many cherished memories for so many people and that those people don't want those memories to go up in flames but to continue on with many more good memories.

People just get worried when a company decides to do something different from what they were expecting. In the end, we all are just wanting to make sure we get what we want and not another sport disaster.

But fear not people, we are in good hands! Unlike EA, Blizzard will protect us and deliver in full force.

Blizzard: We may not do it the way you were originally thinking, but you'll still be just as happy in the end. ...at least thats how they have been for me so far with my gaming experiences with them.

Killa_Ape
10-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Here's one link talking about the split and the names of them:

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=26023

Pricing COULD be cheaper if it's not as much as original game:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/blizzard-vp-starcraft-2-trilogy-on-the-3-year-plan/

Interview with someone from team talking about why they made trilogy, etc, etc

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/interviews/42261/StarCraft-2-Trilogy-Interview

IGN had a better interview up before with Rob Pardo but I can't find it right now, I'll add it if I find it.