PDA

View Full Version : Sound System Overhaul!

Luke122
10-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Hey there kids,

I know that I've been kinda slacking on the content lately, and there's really no good excuse for it.

To make up for it, is there any interest in me posting a work log with lots of pics about the overhaul of my audio setup in my home office?

I'll be adding a set of new spikes to my speakers, replacing the existing braided cat5 speaker wire with some high end cables, testing another set of homemade interconnects, doing some work on my amp (just an LED swap for now, more to come later on), and eventually a heavy duty overhaul on my cd player (1001series Playstation).

I'm also looking at changing out the USB cable to my M-Audio external audio box with a shorter one, a cable with gold plated connectors, and one with extra shielding, and finally one that I build myself.

Lastly, I'm going to try out a bunch of different formats, players, and managers for my audio collection.

I could also do comparitive reviews on all the swaps and testing I do, to try and give you all some good advice on the gains (or losses) I experience, and how to get the most out of your own audio setup without spending a fortune. (I've already posted a few tips in another thread.. check that out too!)

Thoughts? Interest?

nevermind1534
10-18-2008, 01:02 AM
my cd player (1001series Playstation)

There's some people on ebay, who try to sell those for thousands of dollars, when, at the same time, there's some going for between $20-$40.

Luke122
10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I've got 3 of them, all picked up from pawn shops for under $10 each. They do sound amazing though, and they definitely do rival much more expensive transports for sound quality.
If anyone here has a wireless remote or controller for a playstation and wants to sell it (or trade for it), just send me a PM, and we can work something out. :)

nevermind1534
11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
reported

rendermandan
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
reported???? UM, why?

Luke122
11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Hehe.. probably there was a spam post in here. :)

Either that, or I'm being reported as crazy for using a Playstation for a CD player on a hifi system!

I'm not that crazy though.. check these out!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31123
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html <-- I have duplicated this system except for cables.. I'm very happy with my homemade cables. :)

nevermind1534
11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Hehe.. probably there was a spam post in here. :)

yep

reedcook19
04-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Some of my stuff should be coming in today. I ordered an AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 stereo soundcard earlier this week. It has upgradeable opamps, and uses that new sweet sounding AKM DAC along with a Via Envy24 HT-S APU. I didn't stop there, I also ordered some LM4562 opamps from National Semiconductor and some AV123 X-LS bookshelf speakers. This will be a major upgrade over my 1212M/Insignia combo. The 1212M sounds good, but wont sound as good as the Progidy HD2. I auditioned one last week and was blown away, so I just had to get it . I'm sure my day at work will go by very slow because I'm looking forward to what the UPS man leaves me this afternoon. I'm surprised I actually found this soundcard, not very many resellers of Audiotrak products in the US. Cant wait to be rockin out when I get home.

Ubuntu 8.10 Netbook Remix | MSI Wind U120 | 32GB SSD | Intel Wifi Link 5300

Ubuntu 8.10 | Toshiba Satellite A215-S4697 | 64GB SSD

Luke122
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I've never heard of that sound card before! Great find! I'm definitely looking into it now. :)

I see you are running Ubuntu Studio.. any tips for me? I've just downloaded it this past weekend, and want to try it out. :)

Eclecticos
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
To make up for it, is there any interest in me posting a work log with lots of pics about the overhaul of my audio setup in my home office?

Thoughts? Interest?

Sounds plenty interesting to me. Especially the comparative reviews,
homemade interconnects, and the amplifier LED swap.

I was wondering if there is anyway to determine what voltage,
and current the replacement LED would need to operate. Voltmeter?

SXRguyinMA
04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I've got a wireless controller for a PS2, dont think it'll work though

Luke122
04-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Sounds plenty interesting to me. Especially the comparative reviews,
homemade interconnects, and the amplifier LED swap.

I was wondering if there is anyway to determine what voltage,
and current the replacement LED would need to operate. Voltmeter?

I was thinking just that.. hit it with the multimeter. :)

Last weekend I was given an old Akai 1040 receiver, so I'll be testing that as well. :) Supposed to be super nice sound, and a really solid tuner. If that wasnt good enough, I was also given a turntable a few months ago, so I can use the akai with it since it has a phono stage! :D

Time to bust out the vinyl!