PDA

View Full Version : College Living: Dorm Recipies 1

XcOM
10-24-2008, 09:40 PM
A new story entry has been added:

College Living: Dorm Recipies 1

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/xcom/Banners/College%20Living%20Dorm%20Recipies/College%20Living%20Dorm%20Recipies.png
(http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/frontpage/?q=node/284)

It's a well known fact, when starting University or College, it's time to fend for yourself after being mollycoddled for most of your life. The staple diet for a long time, is going to consist of beans on toast. TBCS offers our many student members some easy ideas for uni that don't rely on a can opener.

Check out the full article HERE (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/frontpage/?q=node/284)

Drum Thumper
10-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm guessing that takeaway is the same as Takeout here in the States?

XcOM
10-25-2008, 03:30 AM
yes, sorry it was written from a british view point

Cymae
10-25-2008, 05:56 AM
and the australian editor calls it the same. My bad too ;)

The_Crippler
10-25-2008, 01:00 PM
yes, sorry it was written from a british view point

...which I figured out as soon as I read "beans on toast." :D

Always interesting to see that, though the details may be different, college students are the same everywhere.

Airbozo
10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
So should we add our collection of recipe's? We could start a TBCS cookbook (I have the software to create and publish cookbooks complete with nutritional breakdowns).

I have many that are applicable to "college living".
Cheap.
Easy.
And quick. (or as quick as can be)

Here are a few examples:

Tater Tacho's;
1 bag of tater tot's
1 can of beans (I like the flavored kind)
Shredded cheese
Fresh Tomato (optional since it takes effort and time)
Spices

Bake the tot's according to the package
Heat the beans
Plate the tot's and pour beans over hot tot's
Smother with cheese
add tomato's
add spices (or toss the tot's with spices before plating)
Broil in oven to melt cheese
Enjoy!

Here is a twist on the Beans and Toast recipe that I have been using since the '80's;

Bean Bowls;
Can of beans (again the flavored ones work well)
Bag of corn chips or tortilla chips
Shredded Cheese
Salsa

Heat beans
Pour chips into bowl
Put some shredded cheese on chips
Pour hot beans onto chips
More shredded cheese on top
Some salsa to taste
Stir and enjoy!

If you guys want me to start the cookbook, let me know, It is really easy to do. Just add some recipe's.

Luke122
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Here's a good one from my days..

1 can mushroom soup
1 package ichiban noodles

Save the spice package from the noodles for another day, and just toss the noodles into the mushroom soup, and cook the soup as usual. Super tasty, and VERY filling.

Cymae
10-26-2008, 04:41 AM
There'll be a new one every so often, if anyone would like to submit one for the front page, feel free to email it to me at cymae@thebestcasescenario.com or PM me :)

Crazy Buddhist
10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
lightly soften an onion in a mix of oil and butter, add in some curry powder and turn up the heat a bit to burn off the spices. after a minute or two constantly stirring when the pan starts smoking a little throw in the beans from an open can. it's hard to get them out of a closed can. stir in the beans onions and spices, lower heat and heat til warmed through, serve on buttered toast for breakfast.

Curried beens FTW !!!

noopypoop
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Buy Ramen noodles. Boil water . Put in noodles. Pour in flavor packet. Eat.:D

Airbozo
10-27-2008, 02:46 AM
FYI: All the recipes I will submit here are quick and easy preparations. For instance, I have made Croissants from scratch and there is not enough room here to tell you how to do it right. Besides, these should be recipes that are geared for cheap and easy prep. If some of my clients thought I was making croissants this way they might never ask me to come back... Food snobs and all... Heck it took me weeks to explain to one client why canned tomatoes are better than supposed "Vine Ripened" tomatoes from the grocer (and I make a mean roasted tomato soup).

Another one:

Croissants, savory or sweet

Package of Pilsbury croissants
Filling (for this example I use chocolate chips)

Heat oven
Seperate croissants onto cookie sheet
Fill with filling (not too much)
Roll up and twist into shape
Bake
Remove from oven and sprinkle with light amount of powdered sugar

Enjoy!

The_Crippler
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Curried beens FTW !!!

Jiminey Christmas...this right here is why people hate having roommates in college. Make sure to open a window.

d_stilgar
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
9iCSozlDC1k

Priceless

Airbozo
10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Jiminey Christmas...this right here is why people hate having roommates in college. Make sure to open a window.

Agreed!

When I worked at SGI there was this one lady that eventually got banned from cooking anything in the microwave. Everything she cooked smelled like rotten fish and would stink up the entire building, making even sitting at your desk a chore in vomit retention.

My manager (whom you have all read about) _used_ to make this one dish every month in a crockpot, at work, and by 10 am no-one could enter our side of the building. I would always go home sick and eventually everyone caught on that it was the stench of his dish that sent everyone packing. In our new building he is not allowed to cook anything except in the lunch room. NO CROCKPOTS!

Hehe but I do love MY crockpot.