PDA

View Full Version : Stalker Original

simon275
10-25-2008, 12:31 AM
I just picked up a copy of the orginal Stalker game. I had heard lots of great reviews about it and I wanted to get my head around the franchise before maybe taking a look at Stalker Clear Sky. I will just come straight of the bat and say this game is a bit boring. The mechanichs feel dated and having to micromanage the inventory ughh. Enimies even on the easist difficulty take loads of shots to bring down. Maybe five years ago this game would have been neat. I am going to give it a bit more time to see if it can sway me.

Pointy_Stick
10-25-2008, 04:04 AM
The first thing to know about this game is that its an RPG first and an FPS second. Its closest cousin would be Oblivion over Half-Life. My advice would be to try approaching it as such. Trying to play it like an FPS killathon will definitely hamper you enjoyment of the game.

Having said that, I never got into that game, but then again I never particularly enjoyed Oblivion either.

FrooP
10-25-2008, 05:15 AM
then you should try one of those mods (try google translator, its german :/)
http://forum1.onlinewelten.com/showthread.php?t=301528 i played the first one and its SOOOO EPIC
http://forum1.onlinewelten.com/showthread.php?t=225137
havent tried this one but sounds also wicked, both mods make the game soooo much cooler

simon275
10-25-2008, 07:38 AM
I went back and tried to approach it as an RPG but it just doesn't work it presents itself as a bog standard shooter and there is hardly enough complexity with stats to make it even close to been an RPG.

HackSore
10-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Stick at it, the first few hours are an exercise in tedium and frustration, but when you start getting into it, its a very rewarding game.
When i first got it, i played an hour or two then lost interest and didnt go back to it for months. Then i started it over, and have now played it through twice, and would say its up there with my favourite games.

xRyokenx
10-25-2008, 12:10 PM
If it were easier to hit stuff when shooting I would enjoy it more... the damn AIs seem to have sniper rifles that are disguised as shotguns, pistols, etc. I might take another go at it in the future but who knows. It seems to have a steep learning curve. My brother really enjoyed it though, he beat that game a few times, lol.

The boy 4rm oz
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM
HackSore is right, the first part is a little bit boring, lots of running around. I played it through first non modded then got the Oblivion Lost mod for it which makes the game far more enjoyable IMO.

As for the enemies taking a lot of hits to bring down it's all due to their armor. Only when you get some more powerful weapons will you be able to lay an enemies down with a single shot to the head.

HackSore
10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah, once you get some decent armour, and a nice scoped rifle, you can take people down pretty efficiently.

Airbozo
10-27-2008, 03:01 AM
I played the game through and mostly enjoyed it. I kept finding all of the locked between a wall bugs and had to reload so many times I almost just gave up.

It was worth the play though.

Yeticorn
10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I was actually in the same position as you simon and I absolutely had to walk away because of the way they had implemented the forensics portion of the game (didn't care for the lack of accuracy). However, my buddy was over one day and showed me the gameplay about 3 or 4 more hours later in the game and I was impressed. Like everyone here is saying, get past the first couple hours and it's a blast.