PDA

View Full Version : is it wrong to steal ideas?

Smitten
12-04-2005, 10:59 PM
what i mean is, is it wrong to use a project idea someone else has used before. i think its ok to do this as long as you don't try to pawn it off as your idea (give credit where credit is due) but not entirely sure if one such as myself can use an idea for modding that someone else has used without asking or crediting said person.

for example: as we all know the doom3 project Crimson is so diligently working on, would it be wrong of me or anyone for that matter to take an idea from it (i.e. the airlock front door) for their mod. would i have to credit him in some way?

i understand everyone can't hold a theme as their own (if i made a "snake case", i can't stop or even fault someone else from doing one as well) but some things that are done to a case are simply unique, 1 of a kind, and therefore it would seem that some deal of credit is due to that person for said idea.

to play devil's advocate, how would one go about having "inventor's rights" to an unique idea in the first place? its not like this is the only pc-modding site in existence (though i'm sure most if not all would vote the best ;) ) So how would our most talented modders accredit their ideas collectively?

thought i'd toss that out for the floor, see what it can stir up. 8)
*edit* this should be in the chatterbox, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to move it now that it's posted :(

public_eyesore
12-04-2005, 11:16 PM
its all cool as long as you dont blaintently rip some one off. Just add a twist to your own mod.

Rankenphile
12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
None of us hold copyrights or patents on our designs, and as long as it was done in good faith - you give credit to your inspiration and such in your worklog or gallery - then I don't see what harm it would be. I mean, what's the point of a community like this if not to share ideas? We communicate our designs as part of a community, to help enhance, challenge and support each other, not to show off how much more brilliant we are than other members.

If you see something unique that you want to take and incorporate into your own design, or even modify to attempt to improve or enhance, then more power to you. We're artists and designers here, and as far as I know, none of us are competing for our livings on this site. We come here to share, not to taunt.

That said, if you have questions about a specific design, such as Paul's airlock or something, then write to him, let him know what you think and that you want to borrow some of his designs. If he says, "No way, that's my idea and you can't use it," then move on, and we'll all taunt him for being a big baby until he cries, or something. Lol. 99% of the time, they will be glad to help, and most likely honored that you liked their design enough to use it.

Again, this comes back to good faith - the assumption that you are not going to make a complete rip-off of their design in order to one-up them or steal their lime-light. Look at TheGreatSatan and CrazyBillyBob. They are both working on similar projects with their R2D2 mods, but as far as I've been able to tell, they have great respect for one another and offer each other helpful (and possibly otherwise :p ) advice on each other's mods.

It all comes back to community and respect. These are, of course, just my own opinions, but I would be surprised to find that others felt offended for using their discoveries or inventions as an inspiration for your own project, if it was done in good faith. Know what I mean?

MrSlacker
12-05-2005, 01:17 AM
If you want to copy Paul's idea, go right ahead. You wont be the first one anyways, some cool Russians copied 100% of his mod.

PS: Paul! :D :p :) 8)

adreamtraveler
12-05-2005, 01:17 AM
we'll all taunt him for being a big baby until he cries, or something. Lol.

hahaa i just broke a couple ribs lol.

all in all i would agree with Rankenphile (except i am definitely not worthy enough to taunt Crimson lol :p )

even if it is based off the same design principles, you can always add that little bit of you to it that makes it unique to your style. it is, after all, your computer and your mod, so when you look at it you want to be able to see a mod that has a Doom 3 theme and a Smitten style~ 8) ;)

Smitten
12-05-2005, 05:18 AM
:p Smitten style....i like that :p

adreamtraveler
12-05-2005, 08:06 AM
:p Smitten style....i like that :p

lol, it does have a nice ring to it doesn't it? :p i smell a case mod theme coming on lol ;)

I hope to have a dream traveler case someday built entirely out of those awesome glow in the dark stars that you stick to your ceiling hehee :D

Zeus
12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
If I may add to this discussion, I just want to point out that if anyone here really had any designs they didn't want copied, they simply would not post them. In my opinion, the whole point of the worklogs is to show people how they did what they did, so others can copy the technique if they want to.

I think most people on this forum would agree with what rankenphile said earlier that most modders would be honored that you would want to reuse one of their ideas. After all, mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery.

I personally would not only be honored by someone trying to do what I did, I would want to help any who approached me to do the same for their mod. How cool would it be to see you idea in a totally different implementation.

adreamtraveler
12-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I personally would not only be honored by someone trying to do what I did, I would want to help any who approached me to do the same for their mod. How cool would it be to see you idea in a totally different implementation.

very nicely put. think everyone can agree with that. ;)