PDA

View Full Version : Dell compatable ?

BubbleMilk*
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM
i have a Dell P4 8300 Series and i was wondering if it was possible to fit swap everything out of the Dell case to a ATX Mini Tower, i was looking @ this case

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Antec-Super-LANBOY-1200-S-16-22

d_stilgar
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I've heard that those are kinda flimsy, but you should be able to fit it all in there. Check your mobo first and then see if there are enough bays for everything. The PSU should have no problem fitting.

wingman358
12-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Bubble, I've owned a few Dell computers over the years and I've learned that they LOVE using proprietary parts. This means that they use parts that are not made to standard, meaning they won't fit in ATX cases. I'm not sure about the newer Dells, but I had a ton of trouble trying to put the parts in a new case with the older Dells (sometimes the mobo was inches too big for the case).

BubbleMilk*
12-05-2005, 05:18 PM
thx for the help guys keepa coming your comments

BubbleMilk*
12-05-2005, 06:12 PM
well since i have a Dell 8300 P4 and like wingman said if there (proprietary) would it even be possible for the mobo to fit into the case i wanted ?

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Antec-Super-LANBOY-1200-S-16-22

Xato
12-06-2005, 08:00 AM
If you want to make sure before you buy anything, check out the type of motherboard, and what form factor it is... (atx, matx etc.) and see if it is supported by the Super Lan Boy.
My friend has this case, and it is a great lightweight case for its cost.

BubbleMilk*
12-06-2005, 09:00 AM
this should be the exact mobo i got
Dell Dimension 8300 Motherboard
* Intel Pentium 4 board
* Onboard 5.1 audio
* Onboard NIC
* Onboard USB
* PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard Connectors
* Serial Connector
* 4 PCI Slots
* 1 AGP Slot
* ATX power connector

crazybillybob
12-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Milk,

If you can get the FCC ID # off the mobo it can be looked up on the net and it will tell you what the borad type is (ATX,BTX, Mini-ATX, AT, ETC).

Good luck!

Crazybillybob

commandar
12-07-2005, 11:39 AM
The newer clamshell style Dells use a proprietary mobo tray that the mainboard is usually riveted down to. It may be possible to reuse the board, but at a minimum you'd need a new HSF as Dell uses a different mounting system than standard P4 HSFs which rely on holes in the tray which just plain aren't there on a standard ATX case.

It might be possible, but it certainly won't be an easy swap.