PDA

View Full Version : Bad mobo?

SXRguyinMA
11-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Alright so I scored a free computer (non-working) from a friend. It's a newer Compaq, Celeron Dual core 2.3GHz, DDR, dual-CD/burner drives, 80GB HDD, Antec 350-Watt PSU.

Heres the issue. One day he went to turn it on and nothing would happen. It'd power on for 1 second, fans, lights, etc, then just shut off. Had one of his other friends check it out, said it needed a power supply. So he gave him $40 and the kid put the new PSU in, and still did the same thing, so he returned it.

The other kid has no idea, just like me. Last time my comp did this same thing it was the power supply :? I can plus his PSU into my mobo from Rockin Case and it works just fine, so I know its not that. Its either the mobo or proc I'm thinking, but dont know which/how to check?

Anyone have any ideas? thanks!

nevermind1534
11-10-2008, 04:26 PM
It very well could be the motherboard. If there's a beep, then it's probably the RAM, but a bad PSU and/or motherboard can do that.

SXRguyinMA
11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
no beep, nothing. hit the power button, the fans and power LED come on for exactly one second, then everything quits

nevermind1534
11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
That happened to me once with a bad PSU. If it's the motherboard, it will usually keep running, but not always. It might be a bad PSU that killed the motherboard? If you have an extra PSU, try that first, if that doesn't work, it's probably the motherboard.

SXRguyinMA
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I havent tried anotehr PSU with this mobo, but I did try the suspected PSU with another mobo and it works fine. I'll have to see if I have another PSU I can steal from somewhere :?

nevermind1534
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
If the PSU works with another motherboard, then that's probably not your problem.

SXRguyinMA
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
yea thats what I figured

FuzzyPlushroom
11-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's gonna be the board. If it's not the board, it's something that failed in a fairly spectacular fashion, and it's worth trying the RAM in another machine and attempting to boot it with the drives disconnected.

I'd bet on a dead board, though. You've reset the CMOS, right?

nevermind1534
11-10-2008, 08:32 PM
And if that doesn't work, also remove the battery for at least 30 seconds, then re-insert it, but the board is probably dead. I don't think it would be the RAM, because the computer is powering off after being turned on.

J-Roc
11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I had the exact same problem with my asus board. I sent it in for RMA and recieved a new board, did the same thing. Funny thing is that i put the proc, psu, and ram on another board and it worked just fine.

Karbon Killa
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
My brother has had the same problem on a lot of his computers. It ended up being a short. Somewhere in the system there was a short. Once you find that short, problem will be solved. We took electrical tape to the whole backside of the motherboard. Worked like a charm. Also make sure all your connections are nice and snug.