PDA

View Full Version : Using AIM while playing a game?

SSGM4DCOW
11-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Anybody know if ther is a way to use AIM while playing a game without minimizing the game? Just thought of it the other day when my friend IM'ed me while i was on WOW

nevermind1534
11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Get him to use xfire instead? Other than that, I don't know of any solutions, other than dual monitors, maybe.

FuzzyPlushroom
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Dual monitors won't help unless the game is running in a window. Believe me, I've tried. (You can watch all you want, but can't respond.)

Fortunately, there is a way: get another computer and a KVM switch (or a second monitor). The former solution's not much better, but the latter works fine (at the expense of some desk space).

nevermind1534
11-11-2008, 08:30 PM
If it's in another monitor, at least you can see what the other person is typing.

xRyokenx
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Play in Windowed Mode. I do that because I like widescreen rez but don't have a widescreen monitor, lol.

Datech
11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Two things you should, and kinda need to do for my solution:

1. Play in Windowed Mode. Every decent game supports this, and if you set it to your max screen resolution you wont see anything but the game while you are playing it anyway.

2. Get Digsby (http://www.digsby.com). Digsby is a multi-tool when it comes to instant messaging and social networks. You can connect AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, and Gchat as well as hook up your Gmail, Facebook, and Myspace. Besides being awesome and customizable, Digsby has a nifty little feature that will pop up the last thing someone said to you in a little bubble near the system tray. This bubble displays who said something and what they said, and gives you a line for a quick reply back. And when you reply, that bubble will display your text as well as his. You can basically have an entire conversation in this bubble.

The point of the bubble is to facilitate quick conversation when you don't want to minimize your current window, as the bubble displays over all your windows that you have open. If you have the game in windowed mode (and sometimes fullscreen too), Digsby will pop up and let you know someone said something. Depending on the game, your game may appear to run slower when it is not the main window selected, but it won't be a deal breaker.

Here I am talking about windows, but Digsby is available for Windows, Macs, and Linux distributions. Check it out!