PDA

View Full Version : Screeching/crackling sound from system speaker

Karbon Killa
11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Recently, whenever I try and boot up my Nforce 680i sli, I don't get any video, and my system speaker crackles at me. It sounds like I have eggs on the stoves. Just crackles and pops sound. No white smoke. Thank god. But do you guys think I may have blown my mobo?? It only happened after I installed my northbridge and southbridge water blocks. Didn't boot once I put them on. Maybe someone here can help me out.

Luke122
11-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Did you possibly scratch a trace on your mobo while mounting the gear?
Any water leaks?

I suppose you could always try to replace the factory heatsinks and see if it boots, but what you are describing doesnt sound like it would have a happy ending.

Maybe check for physical damage, or an electrical short.

Karbon Killa
11-15-2008, 04:06 AM
I don't happen to see any scratches on any traces, only thing i can think of is when i mounted the water block, that it cracked the silicon, but i do not see a crack. There was a water leak when i was testing it, but a very slow one at the o ring. I held a towel to it, so no damage from that to the board. It just wasn't booting ever since I mounted the water blocks.worked beforehand, but after they were in, it would boot for just under a second, and then wouldn't turn on again until i restarted the psu.

Luke122
11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Try removing components and booting as minimal as possible?

Karbon Killa
11-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Tried it. 1 stick of RAM, video card, an that was it. stock cooling as well. Still no luck.

J-Roc
11-16-2008, 05:25 AM
the towel could have shocked a chip.

Luke122
11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Try no ram, see if you get the stand error beep. Not looking good though..

Karbon Killa
11-17-2008, 02:29 AM
It was more like a shirt. And I didn't touch any chips with it, just the fitting area. Tried with no RAM, no error beeps. I get 2 flat horizontal lines on the post code readout, and sometimes the power doesn't cut out, but flickers. Like the leds will be flickering if its moved or slightly bumped.

eslfish
11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
I really don't know. I think it would be some type of interference

Luke122
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Have you tried a different power supply? If the power isnt up to snuff, you can get all sorts of weird issues.

Karbon Killa
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Used 4 different PSUs and those same ons on different boars work fine.

Luke122
11-29-2008, 03:48 AM
I would say that the best thing to try at this point is swapping the mobo. Just find an old one, and power it up with your components. If it works, your board is fried.

Karbon Killa
12-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Well I am using an old board as of right now. Its working decently, but still working. Not liking the whole not being SLi and whatnot, but oh well. I'll overcome it. I am still gonna try and see if I can fix it, because I do not understand it frying once i put north and south bridge blocks on and it just not turning on after that. I'll figure it out though. Thanks, and + rep for the help.

moon111
12-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Any chance of the motherboard touching down on the tray? While unplugged, did you hold in the power button? Reseat the CPU? Clear the cmos?

Karbon Killa
12-13-2008, 05:49 AM
tried it all. every spot on the mobo was on standoffs. The i took it off those and put it on a piece of testing anti static foam. Didn't work then. Its just hanging on my wall until that one idea that just tells me what try try (that ends up working) pops into my head.

moon111
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Maybe try voodoo?
http://voodooneworleans.travelnola.com/Sallie-Ann-Glassman/06-Voodoo-Hurricane-Protection-Ritual/images/VEVE.jpg

Karbon Killa
12-18-2008, 05:28 AM
lol... maybe. :P

Twigsoffury
01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
hmm man im clueless.

maybe you didn't catch "all" the water.

reason #1 why twigs doesnt like watercooling.

i prob got about 40 reasons why I don't water cool.

But water + expensive electronics just doesnt seem right.

Twigsoffury
01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
hmm man im clueless.

maybe you didn't catch "all" the water.

reason #1 why twigs doesnt like watercooling.

i prob got about 40 reasons why I don't water cool.

But water + electronics just doesnt seem right.

I'd break out the magnifying glass and start looking for missing transistors.

I had a Stereo 3d glasses card that kicked the dirt on me.

couple months ago i upgraded that computer and whadda you know theres a chip hiding behind the mobo tray. must of gotten hot enough for the solder to melt and the chip to fall off.

I've air compressored many a resistor off a motherboard on accident.

haha49
02-04-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't happen to see any scratches on any traces, only thing i can think of is when i mounted the water block, that it cracked the silicon, but i do not see a crack. There was a water leak when i was testing it, but a very slow one at the o ring. I held a towel to it, so no damage from that to the board. It just wasn't booting ever since I mounted the water blocks.worked beforehand, but after they were in, it would boot for just under a second, and then wouldn't turn on again until i restarted the psu.

clean the area with acolalo incase there is water resadue