PDA

View Full Version : Router Bad?

B1Gtime
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
This just started happening recently. I been losing internet connection alot.The modem says i have it. The only way i can get the internet back is if i unplug router, which makes the internet go back instantly. Does the router need replacement?

xRyokenx
11-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I was having this problem a lot recently. It turns out that constantly streaming data through the router (such as torrenting) causes it to mess up.

nevermind1534
11-19-2008, 07:33 PM
When I've been torrenting for a few days, the internet gets really slow, even after I stop.

xRyokenx
11-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I actually set it to alternate hours for when it seeds/downloads, hopefully this solves the router crashing and slow internet problems.

Luke122
11-20-2008, 01:16 PM
If you are using wifi on your router, try changing the channel that the wifi is broadcasting on. I've had similar issues when channel conflicts were present.

B1Gtime
11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
The connection will go out while none of the computers are on also(so it wouldn't be streaming data)
My PC is direct connect.
And the weird thing is that the PC says i have internet but I really doesn't.

It happen today, got home from school, PC says i have internet , but not connecting, i went upstairs unpluged the Router then plugged it back in, i got internet back.

[Luke122]If you are using wifi on your router, try changing the channel that the wifi is broadcasting on. I've had similar issues when channel conflicts were present.

how would i do this? go into router settings?

Luke122
11-20-2008, 06:25 PM
If it's a wifi router, then in the settings on the router (through the web interface, where you do all settings) look for wireless settings. There's something there called CHANNEL which is the frequency range it broadcasts on. Most are set to 6 by default, so try bumping it up or down to another channel. There's no benefit to running it on one channel or another (no speed gains), but it's good to try, since too much stuff on one channel can cause issues.

Bopher
11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
too much stuff on one channel can cause issues.

I had a friend that tried setting up his wifi by himself then called me when he was only getting sparatic connections. Went in, changed the channel cause 4 other networks in the building were using the same one and he hasn't had trouble since. But you said you were direct connected so changing the channel won't help you there. If you do have wireless check your connection log in the router settings and see if someone has cracked you password and is taking up all you bandwidth.

Luke122
11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Dlink routers are notorious for locking up with too much interference.. a router crash would affect wired clients too. If you arent using the wifi, just disable it. That might solve your stability problem right there. :)

SgtM
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Firmware updated?

Killa_Ape
11-23-2008, 02:35 AM
I failed to see what brand of router you have, if by chance it's a Netgear and it's one of their awesome crappy ones, it's either not getting proper voltage or overheating or if you're lucky both ;p Still router brand, model would be appreciated.

B1Gtime
11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
srry Router is Linksys , when i get home i can get the model for you, srry killa_ape

progbuddy
11-27-2008, 06:02 PM
You might want to check your IP config settings. Make sure it's on DHCP, or if there are any IP conflicts with other systems.

AMD Killa
11-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Don't forget workgroup/domain settings. And gateway and DNS server settings. What was the last thing you did before it messed up?

:dead: