PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive "Malfunctioned"

Zephik
11-23-2008, 03:51 AM
I just installed my Zen software, but because I didn't like it, I decided to uninstall it which requires a restart of the computer. So I did. I logged back on and now I get a message saying that my external hard drive has "malfunctioned".

Yea. okay. That makes perfect sense. :banghead:

Someone please tell me that I didn't just lose months and months of saved and backed up data just because I decided to restart my computer.

Zephik
11-23-2008, 04:24 AM
I restarted again and now my CD Drive isn't working either. The actual drive works fine, but it won't display anything under my computer. I can't hear any spinning of the disc either.

Also, I'm not getting that malfunction message anymore. But the eHDD still isn't showing up either.

Sometimes, I absolutely despise Microsoft Windows and computers in general.

Zephik
11-23-2008, 04:53 AM
Fixed the CD ROM Drive problem, it was a problem within the Registry.

External HDD is still not working. :(

This device cannot start. [Code 10]

Thats all its telling me under Device Manager.

Zephik
11-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Oh thank you god.

The HDD is now working again. I'm not sure how I fixed it, or if I even did, but its working again.

You can bet that I'll be putting this baby (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101084) down on my Christmas Wish List this year. Not that I'll get it, its much too expensive. But come January when I'll actually have money to spend on myself again, I will definitely be picking one up! (unless I find a better one?)

I'm tired of this sort of thing happening to me. Exhausted, actually. They really need to work on making HDD's more "fail" proof. Especially when they do for no reason like with my case, thats not the first time thats happened to me and its happened to my friends before too. It usually ends in a reformat or a replacement. >< I got lucky this time though. =D

Datech
11-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey, I'm just glad we were able to help you! Haha.

Seriously though, glad its working still. Actual conversation I had with a coworker, me being kind of a smart@ss:

Him: "Three rules of Data Preservation: backup. backup. backup."
Me: "What if your backup fails?"
Him: "No, you didn't understand me. Backup your system. Backup your backup. Backup that backup."
Me: "Oh, well what if you lose all three backups?"
Him: "If you manage to lose three backups then you have bigger problems than data preservation, like, oh I don't know, job security?"